Excellent from both a technical and legal perspective and well-prepared for – and highly persuasive in – oral proceedings.
IAM Patent 1000
Geert’s practice has a particular emphasis on patent law. He has more than 12 years of experience in litigating and advising on complex, multi-jurisdictional patent cases in the areas of electronics, mechanics, and pharmaceuticals.
Through his work on contractual disputes in the fields of licensing and distribution agreements and his work for the National Lottery, Geert is also well-versed in general concepts of civil law. His experience extends to litigating before the Dutch national courts and arbitrating (both contractual and IP-related cases) under the NAI and ICC rules.
Representative clients include Royal Philips, Signify, and DSM-Dyneema.
- Royal Philips v. Wiko. Representing Royal Philips in a multi-jurisdictional patent dispute against Wiko, on the basis of standard-essential patents relating to various aspects of 3G technology which is used in UMTS wireless networks. An injunction was obtained against Wiko on appeal.
- ASML v. Nikon. Successfully defended ASML against a patent infringement action brought by Nikon on the basis of one of Nikon’s patents in the field of lithography, relating to temperature control of the immersion water which is used in the lithography process and the substrate which serves as base material for the computer chip that ultimately results from the process. The Court accepted ASML’s invalidity arguments against Nikon’s patent and denied the injunction.
- Carl Zeiss Meditec v. VSY Biotechnology et al. Representing Carl Zeiss against a Dutch, Turkish and Spanish VSY entity, in a multi-jurisdictional patent dispute in the field of optics, more specifically in the field of trifocal intra-ocular lenses. Successfully obtained a cross-border injunction before the Dutch Court against (in short) the manufacturing and sale of VSY’s trifocal Tri-ED lens in all European countries for which Carl Zeiss’ patent was in force (with the exception of Germany, where separate infringement proceedings were pending).
- AstraZeneca v. Sandoz & Stada. Successfully defended AstraZeneca in a nullity action brought by several generics against an enantiomer patent held by AstraZeneca, protecting its Nexium® The Court declined the invalidity arguments raised by the generics against AstraZeneca’s patent, and for the first time in history held an enantiomer-patent to be valid.
- Abbott v. Bayer. Successfully defended Abbott in a multi-jurisdictional patent dispute against Bayer, relating to an alleged infringement by Abbott on one of Bayer’s patents, targeting Abbott’s multi-billion dollar antibody product Humira®.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Vereniging van van Intellectuele Eigendom (VIE)
- Regular speaker on IP-related matters.
- Presentation on SEPs and FRAND at AIK seminar. Tokyo, May 2019
- Presentation on the awarding of damages in IP cases at the AIPPI Baltic Conference. Jürmala, April 2017
- Presentation on the assessment of infringement in second medical use cases at the AIPPI seminar. Amsterdam, January 2017
- Geert also teaches in the educational program for Dutch Patent Attorneys, including on the topics of industrial applicability, insufficiency and jurisdiction.
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Geert thinks both strategically and creatively; he is an excellent communicator and a pleasure to work with.” IAM Patent 1000 2021
- “Renowned for his ability to grasp complex technical issues quickly and provide swift, smart critical advice.” IAM Patent 1000 2020
- “Efficient and straightforward and focuses 100% on how to win a case.” IAM Patent 1000 2019
- “Excellent from both a technical and legal perspective and well-prepared for – and highly persuasive in – oral proceedings.” IAM Patent 1000 2019
- “Silver-tongued Geert Theuws is adept at keeping all the plates spinning on intricate, multi-faceted patent cases.” IAM Patent 1000 2016
University of Tilburg (Law, 2005)