Carl is technically brilliant and knows how to navigate towards the best result for the client. From a tactical point of view, he’s one of the best there is.
IAM Patent 1000
Carl De Meyer has extensive experience in patent law, all aspects of trademarks and copyrights, customs counterfeit matters as well as unfair competition and competition law. He represents, amongst others, DSM, Syngenta, Lundbeck, Philip Morris, Philips, AstraZeneca, Saint Gobain and Tenneco Corporation.
- Representing Syngenta in several patent cases, among others in relation to Amoxystrobine.
- Representing Simplot in a cross-border dispute regarding design rights on potato products, as well as before the EUIPO.
- Representing Zouk in several matters relating to breeders’ rights.
- Representing Tenneco Corporation in a patent dispute relating to frequency dependent shock absorbers.
- Representing Forax in a software copyright infringement and related unfair market practices matter relating to dispute about fuel cards.
- Representing Roquette in a cross–border patent dispute involving maltotriitol.
- Assisting DSM regarding questions on patent and trade secrets related to resins.
- Representing Philip Morris and the world’s n°1 beverage producer in trademark cases.
- Representing Philips in divers IP matters amongst other the case which led to the famous Philips Nokia judgement of the CJEU about the Manufacturing fiction of the Customs Counterfeit Regulation (2011).
- Representing Mega Brands both before the EU “Enlarged Board of Appeals of OHIM” in Alicante, the European General Court and finally the CJEU in connection with Lego’s well-known 3D trademark covering the basic 8 stud brick. This case was a widely followed, high profile case that clarified EU Trademark law on the question of whether it is possible to secure trademark protection on functional shapes. Mega Brands enjoyed a complete victory in all.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- “Het nieuwe merkenrecht: De bepalingen omtrent goederen in transit”, IRDI, 2016, 64.
- “Moving forward: the new trade mark provision on goods in transit”, co-authored with Carina Gommers, GRUR Int 5/2016.
- “Repackaging under Trade Mark Law” in Liber Amicorum Willem Hoyng Litigator,Uitgeverij deLex, 238 (2013).
- “The transit dilemma revisited: the new Customs Regulation and the legislative package on trade marks” in Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, (2013) 8 (10): 771-775, co-authored with Carina Gommers (2013).
- “Urgent memo to the EU: don’t let transit be a safe harbour”, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, Co-authored with Carina Gommers (2012).
- “Marktpraktijken en Intellectuele Rechten”, De Wet Marktpraktijken en Consumentenbescherming toegepast, Co-authored with Prof. Marie-Christine Janssens (2012).
- ”Beschrijvend Beslag en Know How”, Liber Amicorum Ludovic de Gryse, Larcier, 117 (2010).
- ”De Vordering tot Staken”, Sanctions et Procédures en Droits Intellectuels/ Sancties en Procedures” Intellectuele Rechten, Larcier 193 (2008).
- “The new transit provisions in Regulation 2015/2424 and Directive 2015/2434”, CITIP seminar, KULeuven (2016)
- Regular speaker for IP courses at the KULeuven and the Vrije Universiteit Brussel
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Smart, experienced, practical and efficient.” Chambers Europe 2020
- “De Meyer goes beyond the case and looks at situations with unique perspectives. He is a seasoned professional who is theoretically and technically astute and is an overall excellent lawyer.” World Trademark Review 2020
- “Sharp-shooting litigator Carl De Meyer has taught many practitioners in the country the tricks of the trade. He adroitly unpicks the knots of convoluted disputes in the food and agriculturalsector.” IAM Patent 1000 2020
- “An authority on trademark law and a technically gifted and tenacious lawyer.” World Trademark Review 2019
- “Looks at things from a client’s perspective, is very pragmatic and focuses on our company.” Chambers Europe 2019
- “Masters his cases, in law and in fact, and shows great strategic insight.” World Trademark Review 2018
- Carl de Meyer remains “a well-established figure on the Belgian IP market.” Chambers Europe 2018
- “A superb all-rounder with varied but high-level skills.” IAM Patent 1000 2017
- “Fine professional with a fine legal mind and sharp reasoning.” World Trademark Review 2017
- “Carl is technically brilliant and knows how to navigate towards the best result for the client. From a tactical point of view, he’s one of the best there is.” IAM Patent 1000 2016
- “I would highly recommend him – he does excellent work.” Chambers 2016
- “For big-ticket litigation, Carl would be my lawyer of choice. I like his style. He’s efficient, calm and considerate. He knows how to judge and handle a case.” World Trademark Review 2016
- “Managing the Brussels office is the formidable Carl De Meyer. Often trusted with bet-the-company litigation, the “very dynamic” operator is also skilled at hammering out favourable settlements around the negotiating table.” World Trademark Review 2015
- “Carl De Meyer is simply in a different league to the rest of the competition – truly world class.” IAM Patent 1000 2014
Georgetown University (LLM, 1986)
Catholic University of Leuven (KUL) (Law, 1981)