A thorough, practical, reliable professional and outstanding writer. She tailors her approach brilliantly and her diligence is unparalleled.
World Trademark Review
Carina’s practice covers litigation regarding intellectual property rights, including trademarks and designs. Carina also has extensive experience regarding customs counterfeit seizures.
Carina currently is the Second Vice-President of ECTA. Carina is also the Belgian editor of the JIPLP, the BMM Bulletin and IEForum.be. In addition, she is a CEPANI approved arbitrator for domain-name disputes.
Since qualifying she has worked on several high-profile cases, representing clients including Thomas Cook, Amazon, Philips, Supergroup, Pfizer, Procter & Gamble and Wolters Kluwer.
- Rituals v. Casa. Descriptive seizure and proceedings on the merits regarding infringing products commercialised by Casa.
- Vlisco v. Belgozim. Descriptive seizure and proceedings on the merits regarding infringing was fabrics.
- Secrid v. Griffe. Successfully acted for Secrid, in a counterfeit procedure based on patent and design rights.
- Solvay v. Bloomfield. Acted for Solvay in a procedure concerning trade secrets.
- Abbott v. OrbusNeich. Represents Abbott (formerly St. Jude Medical) in a trade mark dispute against OrbusNeich.
- Thomas Cook. Successfully acted for Thomas Cook in a trademark/copyright litigation against a web developer accusing Thomas Cook of copying their “heart shaped” logo.
- Philips v. Golden Shaver. Represents Philips in litigation regarding copyright and industrial design rights for its well-known Philishave shavers. This case deals with the possibility to act against goods in transit under the Customs Regulation and was referred to the European Court of Justice which rendered its judgment on 1 December 2011 in the joint Philips/Nokia cases.
- Daiichi Sankyo v. PI Pharma. Parallel import case against PI Pharma who intends to import generic Ranbaxy tablets from the Netherlands into Belgium and repackage these tablets using Daiichi Sankyo’s trademark Prareduct.
- Supergroup. Regularly advises Supergroup and trademark prosecution work.
- Nomad Foods. Advice regarding trademark availability.
- Association des Praticiens du droit des Marques et des Modèles (APRAM)
- Benelux Association of Trademark and Design Law (BMM)
- BMM Bulletin, Editorial Board
- European Community Trademark Association (ECTA), Second Vice-President
- ieforum.be, Editorial board
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Editorial board
- Pharmaceutical Trademark Group (PTMG)
- “Online marketplace operators saved from liability for trade mark infringement?”, co-authored with Eva De Pauw, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2020), Vol 15, Issue 5.
- “Liability for trade mark infringement of online marketplaces in Europe: are they ‘caught in the middle’?”, co-authored with Eva De Pauw, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2020), Vol 15, Issue 4.
- “The age of design”, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2020), Vol 15, Issue 2: 75.
- “Comparing apples with pears? A no go for the General Court”, co-authored with Eleni Foscolos, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2019) Vol 14, Issue 5: 345-347.
- “Het volgen van modetrends of kopiëren. Waar ligt de grens?” Jaarboek Marktpraktijken 2017, De Bauw (ed.) Wolters Kluwer België.
- “Seeking effective remedies for the growing epidemic of counterfeit pharmaceutical products” Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2017) 12 (4): 261-262.
- Fenêtre sur Cours – Wat IEdereen moet weten over het afgelopen jaar/Des décisions qui ont MARQUÉ l’année écoulée, co-authored with Josine van den Berg, Marten Bouma, Maarten Haak, Laurens Kamp, Yvonne Noorlander and Olivier Vrins, BMM Bulletin 2016/3.
- “CJEU referral on Louboutins red sole trade mark”, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 2016.
- “Retention of ownership may prevent exhaustion”, co-authored with Tim Robrechts, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 2016.
- “Moving forward: the new trade mark provision on goods in transit”, co-authored with Carl De Meyer, GRUR Int 5/2016 and Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 2016.
- “Red Sole Diaries: a tale on the enforcement of Louboutin’s position mark“, co-authored with Eva De Pauw, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 2016-4.
- “De Trademark Package: een panorama”, co-authored with Bert-Jan van den Akker, Arnout Groen, Maarten Haak, Tanguy de Haan, Laurens Kamp, Willem Leppink, Yvonne Noorlander, Florence Verhoestraete and Olivier Vrins, BMM Bulletin 2016-1.
- “Trademark package en transit”, BMM Bulletin 2016-1.
- “Brussels Court of Appeal says Louboutin’s red sole trade mark is valid and infringed”, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 2015-10.
- Wat IEdereen moet weten over het afgelopen jaar – Ce que tout le monde doit MARQUEr de l’année passée, co-authored with Josine van den Berg, Marten Bouma, Maarten Haak, Laurens Kamp, Yvonne Noorlander and Olivier Vrins, BMM Bulletin 2015/3.
- “The autonomous concept of parody and conflicting fundamental rights: a balancing act”, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 2014 -9.
- “When a colour becomes a shape: Brussels Commercial Court annuls Louboutin’s red sole trade mark”, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 2014-6.
- “The transit dilemma revisited: the new Customs Regulation and the legislative package on trade marks”, co-authored with Carl De Meyer, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 2013-8.
- De toepassing van de functieleer in het merkenrecht: een nieuw debat voor de Belgische rechtbanken”, Jaarboek Marktpraktijken 2011, H. De Bauw (ed.) Wolters Kluwer België.
- “De Douane Verordening. Artikelsgewijze commentaar”, in Wet & Duiding – Reeks Economisch Recht. Boek 10: Intellectuele Rechten, F. Brison, M.C. Janssens en H. Vanhees (ed.), Brussel, Larcier (2012).
- “Urgent memo to the EU: don’t let transit be a safe harbour”, co-authored with Carl De Meyer, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 2012.
- “Naar een bestemmingsrecht in het merkenrecht?’’, IRDI 2011, afl. 2, 144-146.
- “E-Discovery and Data Privacy; A Practical Guide. Belgium.” co-authored with Fabienne Brison (2010).
- “ALAI 2009 Belgian report to international questionnaire (regarding exhaustion)”, co-authored with S. Dussolier and J. Deene (2009).
- “Het Montex-arrest van het Hof van Justitie: een gemiste kans?” R.D.I. co-authored with Carl De Meyer (2006).
- Several contributions in Trends/Tendance.
- “Enforcement Round-Up”, webinar, Journal of Intellectual Property & Practice (June 2020)
- Lecture on recent EU case law BMM Conference Ghent (2019)
- Moderator of session on recent EU case law ECTA Annual Conference Edinburgh (2019)
- “Impact Brexit op intellectuele eigendom”, webinar, Lexalert (2019)
- “De Louboutin uitspraak van het Europese Hof van Justitie”, AIPPI, Brussels (2018)
- “Combating Illicit Trade and Counterfeiting”, CEPS, Brussels (2017)
- Regular guest speaker on “Trademarks” and “Industrial Design Rights” at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Clear in her questions, she finds creative solutions to complex legal issues. Providing commercial guidance on all manner of IP issues, Gommers is a reliable and trusted professional.” World Trademark Review 2020
- Clients particularly appreciate Carina Gommers for her advice, which they describe as “well considered, succinct and practical.” Chambers Europe 2020
- “Gommers is deeply engaged with the companies she assists, navigating them through uncharted waters with her resonant, tailored advice.” IAM Patent 1000 2020
- “Dedicated and reliable. Very user-friendly, responsive, practical and gets good results.” Chambers Europe 2019
- “A thorough, practical, reliable professional and outstanding writer. She tailors her approach brilliantly and her diligence is unparalleled.”
World Trademark Review 2019
- “A top-notch lawyer who handles matters with efficiency and engages deeply with the practical and theoretical aspects of IP law. Her knowledge of various industry sectors makes her an invaluable counsel”. World Trademark Review 2018
- Endowed with “good strategic sense”, outstanding all-rounder Carina Gommers is sought after for her “extremely proactive approach” and unrivalled ability to “outline options in a clear and logical way”. She is also highly respected for her expertise in the anti-counterfeiting space; along with De Meyer, she has helped to shape goods-in-transit protection provisions in new European trademark legislation.
World Trademark Review 2017
- “Dedicated, professional and smart” Carina Gommers handles trade mark and design litigation in the electronics and consumer goods industries, among others. Peers endorse her as “a tough litigator.” Chambers Europe 2017
- “She is incredibly knowledgeable about a great range of legal issues. In addition to being friendly and easy to work with, she demonstrates excellent attention to detail. Carina is able to pick up quickly on scientific information, showing a good technical understanding.” IAM Patent 1000 2016
- “Carina Gommers is “very thorough and excellent in goods-in-transit matters”; anti-counterfeiting is another forte.” World Trademark Review 2016
- “Devotes herself to your case and is a highly methodical lawyer.”
IAM Patent 1000 2015
- “Carina Gommers is another preferred choice for mark holders, especially when it comes to orchestrating customs seizures.”
World Trademark Review 2015
- “Worthy litigator, Carina Gommers has proved her mettle in the firm’s highest-profile conflicts and many expect her star to rise considerably in the future.” World Trademark Review 2014
HUBrussel (LLM Intellectual Property Law, 2006)
KULeuven (Law, 2002)