Franz Ruz is specialized in Intellectual Property law, ICT law, Digital law, and Media & Entertainment Law, all in the private and regulatory/public sectors. He represents clients in diverse areas including audiovisual, governmental, telecommunications, TMT regulatory issues, international organizations, internet search engines, biotechnology, sports, publishing, software, music, artificial intelligence, videogames, investment and private equity, and financial services, among others.
As a recognized international expert in copyright and digital law, Franz often acts as consultant for international organizations such as the United Nations (WIPO, ECLAC, UNCTAD), UNESCO and the European Commission. He has also been an advisor to the Ministry of Industry of Spain and the Ministries of Culture of Chile and Costa Rica, and has been called upon as an expert in copyright legislative initiatives by the Chambers of Deputies of Spain and Chile.
He has been a lecturer in programs from universities such as Autonomous University of Madrid, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), IE Business School, Carlos III University of Madrid, Catholic University of Chile and University of Buenos Aires (Argentina), among others.
Prior to joining HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER in 2020, Franz was a partner at ECIJA, where he was part of the TMT practice at the Madrid office, and co-administrator of their office in Santiago de Chile.
- Directed the independent study commissioned by Google entitled “The future of copyright and user-generated content in the web 2.0”.
- Consultant for UNESCO (CERLACL) on Artificial Intelligence Law.
- Head of International Legal Affairs of “Ines of My Soul”, a series coproduced by Boomerang TV (Lagardère Group), Televisión Española, Amazon Prime Video and Chilevisión (Turner Broadcasting Television).
- Led the team advising the Republic of Costa Rica in designing their policy for the protection of indigenous cultural heritage.
- Advised the Ministry of Industry of Spain in its open source software policy.
- Counseled the Spanish agency of International Commerce (ICEX. Ministry of Industry) in its strategy regarding digital books exportation.
- Led the team advising a multinational Japanese VoD service provider in their negotiations with several collecting societies in Europe, including SGAE, SIAE, PRS and SACEM.
- Advisor of the multinational content group Toonz in its activities in Spain.
- Advisor of the Spanish Association of press-clipping in its sectorial negotiation with the collective management society CEDRO regarding their framework contract on copyright uses.
- Represented Orange in the context of the proceedings to determine EGEDA’s tariffs before the Intellectual Property Commission of Spain.
- Led the team advising Bnext, one of the most important Spanish FinTech companies, in setting up their business in Mexico.
- Madrid Bar Association
- Member of the Executive Committee of The International Literary and Artistic Association (ALAI)
- “Creative Commons Licenses”, co-author (WIPO, 2005)
- “Kazaa and the end of revolution”, article (P.e.i. magazine, 2005)
- Director of the Legal Guide of film finance in Spain (Instituto Autor, 2010)
- “The Future of Copyright and user-generated content”, independent study commissioned by Google (Rooter, 2011)
- Author of the legal chapter of the Internationalization Manual (ICEX-CECO, 2012)
- Director of the Guide for the Digital Musician – Chilean Author’s Society (2018)
- Chapter “Intellectual Property”, Memento on New Technologies, Lefebvre-El Derecho (2019 and 2020 editions)
- Artificial Intelligence in the Publishing industry, co-author (CERLACL-UNESCO, 2020)
Regular speaker on Copyright, Digital International Trade, ICT Law and Media Law both for the private and public sectors, including United Nations Agencies (UNCTAD, WIPO, ECLAC), UNESCO and OECD conferences and workshops.
C/ Príncipe de Vergara, 36, 5.º dcha.
C/ Príncipe de Vergara, 36, 5.º dcha.
LLM in Intellectual Property - University Carlos III of Madrid (2015)
Bachelor of Laws – Autonomous University of Madrid (2004)
Bachelor of Aesthetics (Art History) – Catholic University of Chile (1999)