“… has experience across the pond both academically and professionally”
iam Patent 1000, 2020
Stefan Richter has worked as an attorney since 2010. He advises and represents national and international clients in all fields of intellectual property law. The focus of his work is on national and multi-jurisdictional patent infringement litigation and parallel opposition and nullity proceedings before the European Patent Office and the German Federal Patent Court.
Stefan advises clients in various technical areas, in particular in telecommunications and information technology, electronics, software, mechanical engineering and medical devices.
Stefan studied law at the University of Osnabrück. Following his graduation, he continued his studies and earned a postgraduate law degree (LL.M.) at the University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, focusing mainly on US patent, copyright and trademark law as well as on tort law.
Stefan worked as a research fellow at the University of Osnabrück’s Institute for Commercial and Business Law (department of Prof. Dr. Hans-Jürgen Ahrens). He earned his PhD with a thesis regarding tort liability and attribution of damages.
During his legal clerkship in the jurisdiction of the Higher Regional Court Düsseldorf he continued to focus on patent law, working for German and international law firms in Düsseldorf and Chicago, IL.
Stefan is a visiting lecturer for patent law at the University of Osnabrück.
- Representation and advice for a major Asian car manufacturer in multi-patent litigation (2014 – present)
- Advice for a leading optics company (2012 – present)
- Advice and representation in various matters relating to telecoms and standards for a global market leader (2011 – present)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Association of Intellectual Property Experts (VPP)
- Visiting lecturer for patent law at the University of Osnabrück
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- Often recommended, JUVE 2021/2022
- Recommended Individual, JUVE Patent 2021
- Richter (…) earns praise for his “solid and well-tested litigation style” iam Patent 1000, 2021
- “… has experience across the pond both academically and professionally” iam Patent 1000, 2020
- “very impressed in proceedings”, “very extensive know-how in contentious proceedings and other negotiation situations”, JUVE 2019/20
- “Legally and technically always up to speed, at the same time also calm, matter-of-fact and extremely reliable.” Legal 500, 2018
- “Stefan Richter belongs to the leading individuals of the Team.” Legal 500 Deutschland, 2018
- “…notable patent litigator.” MIP IP Stars 2018
- ‘Legally and technically always up to date, always calm and objective and reliable.’ Legal 500 Germany 2017
- “Stefan Richter is “a rising star and great litigator who understands clients’ business needs.” MIP – IP Stars 2017
Dr. jur. University of Osnabrück (2011)
Higher Regional Court of Düsseldorf (Law, 2010)
LL.M. University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA (2007)
1st State Exam Göttingen (2005)
University of Osnabrück (2000)