A living legend in Paris IP circles.
IAM Patent 1000
Denis has considerable experience in industrial property litigation, with a particular focus on patents and trademarks. He also advises on unfair competition and parasitic behaviour issues.
Denis handles national and cross-border disputes in all types of IP cases, including infringement, invalidity, and preliminary injunction actions. Denis is known for his great procedural skills and his talent as a litigator.
His clients include multinational and national companies active in the food, aeronautics, agricultural, automotive, electronics, life sciences, luxury goods, medical equipment, oil, optics, and telecommunications sectors.
- Acted successfully for the world leader in cosmetics before the French Courts in a litigation against the number 1 luxury brand.
- Acted successfully for a telephone operator in two major litigations with respect to the infringement of a patent related to mobile phones’ technology.
- Acted successfully for an industrial electronics company in a patent infringement case following a customs detention.
- Acted successfully for the world’s leading civil engineering company in an action before the Paris Court of Appeal to invalidate a European patent for multistrand stay cable technology.
- Acted for the subsidiary of a well-known luxury goods group to obtain a preliminary injunction against a maker of counterfeit shoes.
- Acted for a well-known oil and gas technology and project management company to obtain the dismissal of a EUR 378 million claim for the violation of confidentiality agreements.
- Acted for the patentee in the French main FRAND action.
- Acted for a major company in four cases related to three mobile patents.
- Acted successfully for a well-known food group in several cases related to trade-mark and parasitism.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), former chairman of the French group
- Association des Avocats de Propriété Industrielle (AAPI)
- Association Française des Praticiens du droit des Marques et des Modèles (APRAM), former treasurer
- Association Française pour la Protection de la Propriété Industrielle (AFPPI), vice president
- Association des Praticiens Européens des Brevets (APEB), founding member and President
- European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW)
- Denis regularly lectures at Institut d’études politiques de Paris (“Sciences Po”) on the “pratique du contentieux de la propriété industrielle“
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Monégier has considerable experience in IP litigation and is known across the country for his strong procedural skills and tenacity as a litigator.” IAM Patent 2023
- “Good in all technical fields.” JUVE Patent 2023
- “Denis Monégier du Sorbier, a founding member of the ensemble. Patents, trademarks and unfair competition are some of his many strengths.” World Trademark Review 2023
- “A tenacious litigator, he is well known across the whole of Europe.” IAM Patent 2022
- “Excellent practitioner who is said to be both analytical and very strategic” Chambers & Partners 2022
- “Highly recognised by peers and by judges, Denis has an exceptional reputation among the IP community for his strategic view and his rigour, honesty and integrity.” World Trademark Review 2022
- “Denis Monégier du Sorbier’s counsel comes underpinned by keen insight into unfair competition and parasitic behaviour issues.” World Trademark Review 2021
- “The best patent litigator active on the French market.” Chambers & Partners 2021
- “Maintains his reputation as a prominent figure in the French IP market and is particularly highly regarded for his skill in litigation.” Chambers Global 2020
- “A gentleman, you learn something new every time he is your opponent in court.” JUVE Patent 2020
- “Extremely professional but also reactive and easy to hold discussions with.” IAM Patent 1000 2020
- “Highly respected in the market.” Chambers Global 2019
- “A living legend in Paris IP circles.” IAM Patent 1000 2019
- “One of the firm’s founders, Denis Monégier du Sorbier needs no introduction; with 40 years’ experience, he handles cross-border cases with the utmost artistry.” World Trademark Review 2018
- “Clearly excellent and highly respected, one of the best litigators around.” IAM Patent 1000 2017
- “Extremely well-known” Denis Monégier du Sorbieris “truly reliable. He is one of the top litigators in France and has comprehensive experience in enforcement”. IAM Patent 1000 2016
- “An outstanding orator.” Legal 500 2015
- “An outstanding patent lawyer.” Chambers Global 2014
- “Best Lawyer” in France. Intellectual Property 2012
- “A tremendous litigator – one of the best.” IAM Patents 1000 2012
- “Peers identify ‘amazing’ Denis Monégier du Sorbier as ‘one of the top patent litigators in Paris.’” Chambers 2011
33 rue Vivienne
33 rue Vivienne
Institut du Droit des Affaires (1974)
British Chamber of Commerce, France (1972)