Brilliant legal analysis, attention to detail, superb technical skills and quality argumentation.
Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars
Steven Cattoor specializes in patent and trade secret litigation. His practice encompasses diverse sectors and technologies, but mainly focuses on the life sciences industry where he represents a number of innovative companies. He is a regular guest lecturer in patent law at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel and in the department of pharmaceutical sciences at Ghent University.
- Ceva v Bayer. On combined toltrazuril + iron injections for veterinary use.
- Pfizer v. Genentech. On trastuzumab formulations, in the context of the launch of a Herceptin® biosimilar.
- Umicore v. Ege Kimya. On cobalt polymer additives for use as drying agent in paints.
- FrieslandCampina v. Incopack. On an improved spout for whipped cream aerosol cans.
- Clayton v. Altachem. On improved, non-sticking valves for use on aerosol cans with 1 component PU foam.
- Sanofi v. Sandoz. On the irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide combination SPC.
- Nestlé v. Unilever. On bouillon formulations.
- Aerocrine v. Medisoft. On medical devices for use in the diagnosis and treatment of asthma.
- Lundbeck v. Tiefenbacher et al. On the escitalopram SPC.
- GSK Bio v. Novartis. On Novartis’ patent portfolio in the pediatric meningococcal vaccine field.
- European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Licensing Executive Society (LES)
- “Inventorship of AI Made Inventions”, I.R.D.I., co-authored with Ine Letten and Annabel Loose (2020)
- “Compulsory licensing in times of COVID-19”, Lexgo, co-authored with Ine Letten (2020)
- “Icos Corporation versus generieken (Teva, Sandoz, Mylan)” I.R.D.I. Co-authored with Liesbeth Weynants (2019).
- “De ABC Verordening. Artikelsgewijze commentaar”, in Wet & Duiding – Reeks Economisch Recht. Boek 10: Intellectuele Rechten, F. Brison, M.C. Janssens and H. Vanhees (ed.), Brussels, Larcier (2012).
- “Competition Law, Pharmaceuticals and the European Commission.” RAJ Pharma (2009). Co-authored with Maarten Meulenbelt and Benoît Strowel.
- “De ‘Belgian torpedo’ op sterven na dood.” I.R.D.I. (2001).
- “Aansprakelijkheid van ISP’s.” Computerrecht (2001).
- “Direct and indirect patent infringement”, IE-net, 27 April 2021
- “Protection of Trade Secrets in the Telework Era”, VBO-FEB, 15 December 2020
- “Patents and Competition Law”, KUL LLM IP & ICT Law, 10 December 2020
- “Article 3a-b SPC Regulation – State of Play”, C5 Pharma Patent Extensions, Munich, June 2016
- “Unitary Patent & Unified Patent Court – Transitioning from dream into reality”, VBO, 18 December 2014
- “UPC: focus on pharmaceutical & chemical industry”, Premier Cercle IP Summit, Paris, December 2013
- “SPC Fundamentals”, C5 Biotech Patenting Forum, Munich, March 2013
- “Patents and start-ups. A lawyer’s view”, Entrepreneurship in Photonics, VUB/ICAB, January 2011
- “Introduction to IP & Patent law in the pharmaceutical sector”, guest lecturer at the department of pharmaceutical sciences of Ghent University
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Steven offers sound, practical advice and produces high-quality work to a tight timeline. He has very solid judgement and is a pleasure to work with.” IAM Patent 2022
- “Building on his expertise and track record, Steven Cattoor remains the hardworking lawyer who controls and masters any detail of a case. His availability and dedication is exemplary.” Legal 500 2022
- “Super technical and capable of really delivering detailed advice.” Chambers & Partners 2021
- “Steven Cattoor is very easy in court, with a likeable presentation of complex legal matters.” Legal 500 2021
- “Steven Cattoor’s excellent writing skills are put to good use in both patent and trade secret litigation.” IAM Patent 1000 2021
- “Capable and responsive litigator” Chambers & Partners 2020
- “Remarkable lawyer who thoroughly analyses each and every case. He is eager to understand the technology behind the product and efficiently cooperates with patent attorneys to ensure that all legal, technical and patent interpretations align.” IAM Patent 1000 2020
- “Very good in patent litigation and bringing his point across.” Chambers & Partners 2019
- “Steven Cattoor is ‘a cool, level-headed advocate’.” Legal 500 2018
- “Hands-on approach and straightforward communications.” Chambers & Partners 2017
- “Brilliant legal analysis, attention to detail, superb technical skills and quality argumentation.” Managing Intellectual Property 2017
- “An excellent communicator and litigator.” Managing Intellectual Property 2016
- “He is helpful, engaging, proactive and knowledgeable about the practicalities of Belgian patent law and court practice. He is also very customer friendly and always looks out for your interests.” IAM Patent 1000 2016
- “Life sciences mavens Benoît Strowel and Steven Cattoor combine patent, antitrust and regulatory expertise to deliver prescient advice to pharmaceutical patentees. They are perennially at the cutting edge”, and “Protecting pharmaceutical products at the end of the patent lifecycle has become a particular specialty of theirs.” IAM Patent 1000 2015
- “Steven Cattoor gives ‘clear, pragmatic and efficient service’ to clients.” Managing Intellectual Property 2015
- “The ‘highly knowledgeable’ Steven Cattoor focuses on patent litigation and receives widespread praise for his expertise in the life sciences sector, where he represents numerous research-based manufacturers.” Who’s Who Legal 100 2015
- “Pleasant and hardworking” Steven Cattoor is frequently consulted on SPC issues and is a recognised authority on pharmaceutical patents.” IAM Patent 1000 2014
University of London, Queen Mary and Westfield College (LLM, 1998)
Ghent University (Law, 1997)