A living legend in Paris IP circles.
IAM Patent 1000
Denis has considerable experience in industrial property litigation, with a particular focus on patents and trademarks. He also advises on unfair competition and parasitic behaviour issues.
Denis handles national and cross-border disputes in all types of IP cases, including infringement, invalidity, and preliminary injunction actions. Denis is known for his great procedural skills and his talent as a litigator.
His clients include multinational and national companies active in the food, aeronautics, agricultural, automotive, electronics, life sciences, luxury goods, medical equipment, oil, optics, and telecommunications sectors.
- Acted successfully for the world leader in cosmetics before the French Courts in a litigation against the number 1 luxury brand.
- Acted successfully for a telephone operator in two major litigations with respect to the infringement of a patent related to mobile phones’ technology.
- Acted successfully for an industrial electronics company in a patent infringement case following a customs detention.
- Acted successfully for the world’s leading civil engineering company in an action before the Paris Court of Appeal to invalidate a European patent for multistrand stay cable technology.
- Acted for the subsidiary of a well-known luxury goods group to obtain a preliminary injunction against a maker of counterfeit shoes.
- Acted for a well-known oil and gas technology and project management company to obtain the dismissal of a EUR 378 million claim for the violation of confidentiality agreements.
- Acted for the patentee in the French main FRAND action.
- Acted for a major company in four cases related to three mobile patents.
- Acted successfully for a well-known food group in several cases related to trade-mark and parasitism.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), former chairman of the French group
- Association des Avocats de Propriété Industrielle (AAPI)
- Association Française des Praticiens du droit des Marques et des Modèles (APRAM), former treasurer
- Association Française pour la Protection de la Propriété Industrielle (AFPPI), vice president
- Association des Praticiens Européens des Brevets (APEB), founding member and President
- European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW)
- Denis regularly lectures at Institut d’études politiques de Paris (“Sciences Po”) on the “pratique du contentieux de la propriété industrielle“
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Monégier has considerable experience in IP litigation and is known across the country for his strong procedural skills and tenacity as a litigator.” IAM Patent 2023
- “Good in all technical fields.” JUVE Patent 2023
- “Denis Monégier du Sorbier, a founding member of the ensemble. Patents, trademarks and unfair competition are some of his many strengths.” World Trademark Review 2023
- “A tenacious litigator, he is well known across the whole of Europe.” IAM Patent 2022
- “Excellent practitioner who is said to be both analytical and very strategic” Chambers & Partners 2022
- “Highly recognised by peers and by judges, Denis has an exceptional reputation among the IP community for his strategic view and his rigour, honesty and integrity.” World Trademark Review 2022
- “Denis Monégier du Sorbier’s counsel comes underpinned by keen insight into unfair competition and parasitic behaviour issues.” World Trademark Review 2021
- “The best patent litigator active on the French market.” Chambers & Partners 2021
- “Maintains his reputation as a prominent figure in the French IP market and is particularly highly regarded for his skill in litigation.” Chambers Global 2020
- “A gentleman, you learn something new every time he is your opponent in court.” JUVE Patent 2020
- “Extremely professional but also reactive and easy to hold discussions with.” IAM Patent 1000 2020
- “Highly respected in the market.” Chambers Global 2019
- “A living legend in Paris IP circles.” IAM Patent 1000 2019
- “One of the firm’s founders, Denis Monégier du Sorbier needs no introduction; with 40 years’ experience, he handles cross-border cases with the utmost artistry.” World Trademark Review 2018
- “Clearly excellent and highly respected, one of the best litigators around.” IAM Patent 1000 2017
- “Extremely well-known” Denis Monégier du Sorbieris “truly reliable. He is one of the top litigators in France and has comprehensive experience in enforcement”. IAM Patent 1000 2016
- “An outstanding orator.” Legal 500 2015
- “An outstanding patent lawyer.” Chambers Global 2014
- “Best Lawyer” in France. Intellectual Property 2012
- “A tremendous litigator – one of the best.” IAM Patents 1000 2012
- “Peers identify ‘amazing’ Denis Monégier du Sorbier as ‘one of the top patent litigators in Paris.’” Chambers 2011
Institut du Droit des Affaires (1974)
British Chamber of Commerce, France (1972)