Excellent litigator who is sharp, practical, smart, thorough and fast.
Chambers & Partners
Laura’s practice covers all areas of intellectual property law, with a particular focus on trademarks, designs, copyright, advertising and media law. She specializes in complex cross-border litigation, but is also an experienced negotiator and likes to strategize with her clients to achieve the desired outcome. Clients frequently ask Laura to act in opposition and invalidity proceedings before the European Union Intellectual Property Office and she assists with border seizure and anti-counterfeit programs. Laura practised IP law and corporate litigation in Curacao, Italy and the Netherlands before joining HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER in 2011. She regularly lectures at universities and conferences worldwide.
Laura Fresco has registered Intellectual Property Law as her principal legal practice area in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister). Based on this registration, she is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in this principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.
- Simplot v. McCain. Represents Simplot in an international dispute about McCain’s infringement on Simplot’s potato design; obtained an EU wide injunction and evidentiary seizures.
- Vlisco v. Stella Jean. The District Court of The Hague granted a copyright injunction, for a range of fabric designs against Italian designer Stella Jean and awarded substantial penalties. Laura represents Vlisco in numerous other IP matters.
- Abbott v. Holland Trading Group. Helped Abbott to obtain evidentiary seizure and cross-border injunctions in proceedings about counterfeit packaged diabetes test strips.
- Successfully represented Arpa Industriale in various cross-border proceedings protecting Arpa’s FENIX and X trademarks for interior design materials.
- Daniel Wellington v. International Time Group. Secured an EU-wide trademark injunction, customs detention, damages awards and other ancillary claims against counterfeit watch traders.
- FKP Sojuzplodoimport v. Spirits. Successfully acted for FKP in proceedings up until the Dutch Supreme Court involving the famous vodka trademarks Stolichnaya and Moskovskaya.
- Member of a Well-known and Famous Marks Team
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Vereniging Intellectueel Eigendom Procesrecht Advocaten (VIEPA)
- Female Intellectual Property Experts (FIPE)
- Beneluxvereniging voor Merken- en Modellenrecht (BMM)
- Overview of Dutch Copyright law for Kluwer’s Copyright Litigation Smart Charts™ (kluweriplaw.com).
- Various legal commentaries in IP magazines and blogs.
- Benelux trademark day, “Bad faith and genuine use in trademark law” (June 2023)
- Fordham Intellectual Property Law & Policy conference New York, “Protection of industrial design” (April 2023)
- BMM Spring meeting, CJEU case law update (March 2021)
- International Copyright Law Conference, Cross-border copyright infringement litigation (December 2019)
- K. Martens Academie, trademark law (October 2019)
- Dag van de designbescherming, Gevolgen Cofemel voor productvormgeving in de EU (October 2019)
- Benelux Merkencongres Amsterdam, Cross-border litigation in trademark cases (June 2019)
- Premier Cercle IP Summit, Online trademark infringement and enforcement (December 2017)
- Fordham Intellectual Property Law & Policy conference New York, “Trademark law and Enforcement” (April 2017)
- Lecturing at the University of Leiden, copy right law (to date)
- Lecturing at the Vrije Universiteit, IP in the digital age (to date)
- Lecturing at the University of Tilburg, trademark law (until 2021)
- Frequent inhouse and external IP law updates for clients (to date)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “She knows what is right, which gives a huge comfort.” Chambers & Partners 2023
- “Excellent litigator who is sharp, practical, smart, thorough and fast.” Chambers & Partners 2022
- “Fresco maintains a versatile practice, regularly acting in opposition and invalidity proceedings and devising robust anti-counterfeiting programmes.” World Trademark Review 2022
- “Laura’s tactical eye makes her a pragmatic, direct and results-driven lawyer.” World Trademark Review 2021
- “A good speaker, very quick and intelligent.” Chambers & Partners 2021
- “Working with Laura Fresco is “brilliant”. She is very strong, knows her case law and has a very logical mind.” Chambers & Partners 2020
- “Laura Fresco is a visible practitioner who is not afraid to take center stage and make herself heard. A name to have on speed dial for customs work and more complex litigation, Fresco is a very skilled, responsive and a brilliant young lawyer.” World Trademark Review 2020
- “Very talented, business-oriented and unquestionably one of the leading names for the trade mark practice.” Legal 500 2020
- “Very skilled IP lawyer” Legal 500 2020
- “A brilliant and efficient attorney who understands her clients’ needs. She constantly seeks out the best approaches, always with passion and an excellent personal attitude.” World Trademark Review 2019
- “Great lawyer” Laura Fresco “has an extraordinary ability in handling client relationships and is skilled in bringing the client to a final victory”. Legal 500 2019
- “Young and talented – intelligent, tough, well-organised and skillful at making her case.” World Trademark Review 2018
- “Passionate, knowledgeable, highly motivated.” Legal 500 2018
- Laura Fresco is praised for “providing prompt advice. The cooperation with her is very pleasant, easy and efficient as she has perfect knowledge of the Dutch law”. Managing Intellectual Property 2017
University of Amsterdam (LLM, 2005)