A brilliant and efficient attorney who understands her clients’ needs. She constantly seeks out the best approaches, always with passion and an excellent personal attitude.
World Trademark Review
Laura’s practice covers all areas of intellectual property law, with a particular focus on trademarks, designs, copyright, advertising and media law. She specializes in complex cross-border litigation, but is also an experienced negotiator and likes to strategize with her clients to achieve the desired outcome. Clients frequently ask Laura to act in opposition and invalidity proceedings before the European Union Intellectual Property Office and she assists with border seizure and anti-counterfeit programs. Laura practised IP law and corporate litigation in Curacao, Italy and the Netherlands before joining HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER in 2011. She regularly lectures at universities and conferences worldwide.
- Russian State Enterprise FKP Sojuzplodoimport v. Spirits. Successfully acted for the Russian state enterprise in proceedings up until the Dutch Supreme Court involving the famous Russian vodka trademarks Stolichnaya and Moskovskaya.
- Simplot v. McCain. Represents Simplot in an international dispute about McCain’s infringement on Simplot’s potato design; obtained an EU wide injunction and evidentiary seizures.
- Vlisco v. Stella Jean. The District Court of The Hague granted a copyright injunction, for a range of fabric designs against Italian designer Stella Jean and awarded substantial penalties. Laura represents Vlisco in numerous other IP matters.
- Abbott v. Holland Trading Group. Helped Abbott to obtain evidentiary seizure and cross-border injunctions in proceedings about counterfeit packaged diabetes test strips.
- Daniel Wellington v. International Time Group. Secured an EU-wide trademark injunction, customs detention, damages awards and other ancillary claims against counterfeit watch traders.
- Philips v. Lidl. Represents Philips against supermarket chain Lidl in legal proceedings involving shavers (copyright and unfair competition).
- MC&F v. ITV Global. Successfully litigated a copyright dispute about television formats up until the Supreme Court; coordinates ongoing international litigation.
- G-Star v. C&A and H&M. EU wide injunctions against C&A and H&M in connection with the infringement of G Star’s RAW trademark.
- Scotch Whiskey Association v. Leanez. Litigated successfully against misleading use of geographical indications before the courts of Curacao.
- Border seizure programs. Represents a number of clients in customs- and counterfeit cases.
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Vereniging Intellectueel Eigendom Procesrecht Advocaten (VIEPA)
- Female Intellectual Property Experts (FIPE)
- Overview of Dutch Copyright law for Kluwer’s Copyright Litigation Smart Charts™ (kluweriplaw.com).
- Legal commentary to District Court of The Hague 1 April 2015, Louboutin/Van Haren, IER 2015/47.
- Legal commentary to High Court of Justice Chancery Division 8 May 2012, Football dataco/Abingdon, published on IE-forum.nl.
- Legal commentary to US Supreme Court 19 March 2013, Kirtsaeng v. Wiley, published on IE-forum.nl.
- International Copyright Law Conference, Cross-border copyright infringement litigation (December 2019)
- K. Martens Academie, trademark law (October 2019)
- Dag van de designbescherming, Gevolgen Cofemel voor productvormgeving in de EU (October 2019)
- Benelux Merkencongres Amsterdam, Cross-border litigation in trademark cases (June 2019)
- Premier Cercle IP Summit, Online trademark infringement and enforcement (December 2017)
- Fordham Intellectual Property Law & Policy conference New York, “Trademark law and Enforcement” (April 2017)
- Premier Cercle IP Summit, Workshop Trademark licensing (December 2016)
- Lecturing at the University of Tilburg, trademark law (to date)
- Lecturing at the University of Leiden, copy right law (to date)
- Frequent inhouse and external IP law updates for clients (to date)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Working with Laura Fresco is “brilliant”. She is very strong, knows her case law and has a very logical mind.” Chambers Europe 2020
- “Laura Fresco is a visible practitioner who is not afraid to take center stage and make herself heard. A name to have on speed dial for customs work and more complex litigation, Fresco is a very skilled, responsive and a brilliant young lawyer.” World Trademark Review 2020
- “Very talented, business-oriented and unquestionably one of the leading names for the trade mark practice.” Legal 500 2020
- “Very skilled IP lawyer” Legal 500 2020
- “A brilliant and efficient attorney who understands her clients’ needs. She constantly seeks out the best approaches, always with passion and an excellent personal attitude.” World Trademark Review 2019
- “Great lawyer” Laura Fresco “has an extraordinary ability in handling client relationships and is skilled in bringing the client to a final victory”. Legal 500 2019
- “Young and talented – intelligent, tough, well-organised and skillful at making her case.” World Trademark Review 2018
- “Passionate, knowledgeable, highly motivated.” Legal 500 2018
- Laura Fresco is praised for “providing prompt advice. The cooperation with her is very pleasant, easy and efficient as she has perfect knowledge of the Dutch law”. Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars 2017
University of Amsterdam (LLM, 2005)