Christopher specialises in the area of patent procurement. He is involved, in particular, in applying for British and European patents and filing patent applications under the Patent Cooperation Treaty. Christopher works in the field of chemistry, where his primary focus is on catalysts and polymers, and in the field of mechanical engineering.
Christopher graduated with honors in ‘Chemistry with Patent Law’ in 2002 from the University of Manchester, qualified as a British Patent Attorney in 2006 and as a European Patent Attorney in 2008. He joined the partnership in 2017.
- Procurement of IP rights. Conducting patentability searches and evaluations, drafting of patent applications and representing clients before the various patent offices. Also involved in opposition proceedings and appeals before the EPO and re-examination, reissue and appeal proceedings before the USPTO. Clients include Derek’s Visors (Pinlock), Nuplex, and P&G.
- Competitor and market analysis. Monitoring and analysing competitors’ patenting behaviour and providing freedom to operate advice and product clearance. Representing clients in oppositions, re-examination and appeals before the EPO and USPTO against third party patents that may impede the client’s freedom to operate. Clients include Nuplex Resins.
- IP counselling. Based on thorough IP portfolio analyses, providing IP portfolio management and strategy advice, offering IP valuation advice and IP pledging services to maximise return on investment and detect financing opportunities. Clients include Derek’s Visors (Pinlock).
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Institute of Professional Representatives before the European
Patent Office (EPI)
- European Patent Litigators Association (EPLIT)
- European Patents Handbook, CIPA (1990-2010) Co-Editor
University of Manchester (Chemistry with Patent Law BSc,. with honors, 2002)