Calculated and fast-thinking practitioner whom top companies are eager to have on side.
IAM Patent 1000
Peter is part of the team that founded HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER in 2011. He made partner in 2017. He specializes in patent litigation, with a particular focus on the pharmaceutical, biotech and medical devices industry. Most of Peter’s cases have an international dimension, and he has extensive experience in coordinating multi-jurisdictional IP matters.
Representative clients in the pharmaceutical / biotechnology field include AbbVie, Abbott, Biogen, Johnson & Johnson, Gilead, Sanofi, Pfizer, UCB, and Regeneron.
In addition to his practice as a lawyer, Peter is a member of the IP faculty of the University of Leiden where he coordinates and teaches a full term course on patent law.
Peter has registered Intellectual Property Law as his principal legal practice area in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister). Based on this registration, he is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in this principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.
- Centocor (Johnson & Johnson) v Bayer, concerning the anti-TNF-alpha drug golimumab.
- Abbott v Medinol, concerning coronary stents.
- Medimmune v Novartis, concerning the basic patents on phage display.
- AGA v Occlutech, concerning cardiac implants (ASD/PFO occluders).
- RCT v Accord, concerning lacosamide.
- Warner Lambert v Dutch State, concerning pregabalin and regulatory law (ECJ referral).
- Royalty Pharma v MSD, concerning DPP-4 inhibitors.
- AbbVie v Biosimilars, concerning the defense of AbbVie’s portfolio of patents on adalimumab (Humira).
- Abbott v Edwards, concerning heart implants.
- Regeneron v Amgen, concerning PCSK9 inhibitors.
- Wyeth v MSD, concerning multivalent pneumococcal vaccines.
- CEVA v Bayer, concerning a veterinary combination drug against anaemia and coccidiosis.
- Apple v Ericsson, on 4G/5G telecom technology
- BioNtech / Moderna, on MRNA vaccines
- Member of AIPPI
- Board member of VIEPA, the Dutch association of IP Litigators
- Teacher at Leiden University
- Regular speaker on patent litigation related matters
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Peter excels in patent matters and also works at the forefront of cutting-edge issues” IAM Patent 2023
- “Peter van Schijndel has a very strong professional experience.” Legal 500 2023
- Great technical background; does a very good job.” JUVE Patent 2022
- “Peter is really knowledgeable about the law and thinks strategically.” IAM Patent 2022
- “Very experienced in pharma patent litigation. Pragmatic and creative when considering legal issues, and responsive.” Legal 500 2022
- “Impressive in building up his own name, with a strong client base” and “cuts an impressive figure in his cases” JUVE Patent 2021
- “Biotech superstar” IAM Patent 1000 2021
- “A very good life sciences litigator” WWL 2021
- “Calculated and fast-thinking practitioner whom top companies are eager to have on side.” IAM Patent 1000 2020
- “He impressed.” Legal 500 2020
- “Very visible in pharma cases.” JUVE Patent 2020
- “Peter van Schijndel is ‘a very strong litigator with a keen focus on pharmaceuticals’. He is a ‘smart innovative thinker’ and ‘always a step ahead of the other side’ thanks to his ‘sharp and skilled approach’” WWL Lifesciences 2019
University of Leiden (LLM, cum laude, 2007)