Calculated and fast-thinking practitioner whom top companies are eager to have on side.
IAM Patent 1000
Peter’s practice is focused on patent litigation, with an emphasis on the pharmaceutical, biotech and medical devices sector. In addition to his patent work, Peter has substantial experience in advertising, database, and pharmaceutical regulatory law. Most of Peter’s cases have a multi-jurisdictional dimension, and he is well versed in the litigation strategies and constraints this brings about.
Before specializing in patent law, Peter worked as a corporate lawyer in the M&A department of one of the Netherlands leading full service firms. This background provides him with a good understanding of the commercial and transaction interests of his clients. Peter joined the partnership in 2017.
Peter van Schijndel has registered Intellectual Property Law as his principal legal practice area in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister). Based on this registration, he is required to obtain ten credits per calendar year in this principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.
- Centocor (Johnson & Johnson) v Bayer, concerning the anti-TNF-alpha drug golimumab.
- Abbott v Medinol, concerning coronary stents.
- Medimmune v Novartis, concerning the basic patents on phage display.
- AGA v Occlutech, concerning cardiac implants (ASD/PFO occluders).
- RCT v Accord, concerning lacosamide.
- Warner Lambert v Dutch State, concerning pregabalin and regulatory law (ECJ referral).
- AbbVie v Biosimilars, concerning the defense of AbbVie’s portfolio of patents on adalimumab (Humira).
- Royalty Pharma v MSD, concerning DPP-4 inhibitors.
- Abbott v Edwards, concerning heart implants.
- Regeneron v Amgen, concerning PCSK9 inhibitors.
- Wyeth v MSD, concerning multivalent pneumococcal vaccines.
- CEVA v Bayer, concerning a veterinary combination drug against anaemia and coccidiosis.
- Member of AIPPI
- Board member of VIEPA, the Dutch association of IP Litigators
- Regular speaker on patent litigation related matters
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Very experienced in pharma patent litigation. Pragmatic and creative when considering legal issues, and responsive.” Legal 500 2022
- “Impressive in building up his own name, with a strong client base” and “cuts an impressive figure in his cases” JUVE Patent 2021
- “Biotech superstar” IAM Patent 1000 2021
- “A very good life sciences litigator” WWL 2021
- “Calculated and fast-thinking practitioner whom top companies are eager to have on side.” IAM Patent 1000 2020
- “He impressed.” Legal 500 2020
- “Very visible in pharma cases.” JUVE Patent 2020
- “Peter van Schijndel is ‘a very strong litigator with a keen focus on pharmaceuticals’. He is a ‘smart innovative thinker’ and ‘always a step ahead of the other side’ thanks to his ‘sharp and skilled approach’” WWL Lifesciences 2019
University of Leiden (LLM, cum laude, 2007)