He is brilliant, he understands very complex technical concepts and reduces them to arguments that you can present. He is also an incredibly hard worker, very dedicated, driven and very easy to work with.
Chambers & Partners Europe
Bart specialises in litigation in the field of intellectual property law, focusing on national and international patent cases. Chambers Global, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal on Patents recommend him in The Netherlands and abroad for his work as a patent litigator.
Bart’s practice comprises the fields of electronics, telecommunications and computer related technology, as well as the pharmaceutical sector. In these fields he represents leading Dutch and foreign multinationals in litigation before the national courts, as well as in the coordination of international patent disputes.
In addition to his litigation practice, Bart advises on national and international patent strategies and supports clients in structuring and maintaining their licensing programs (e.g. by means of customs seizures under the Anti-Piracy Regulation). Bart is a lecturer at the Dutch Institute for Patent Attorneys.
Bart van den Broek has registered Intellectual Property Law as his principal legal practice area in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister). Based on this registration, he is required to obtain ten credits per calendar year in this principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.
- Intel v. Mahltig. Represents Intel in patent proceedings regarding computer technology. In these proceedings, the District Court invalidated the Dutch part of Mahltig’s European patent and rejected the requested relief.
- Philips v. Archos. Represented Philips in infringement proceedings based on Philips’ UMTS and LTE patent portfolio. In these proceedings the District Court rendered its first post-Huawei/ZTE decision rejecting the FRAND-defense raised by Archos.
- Sony v. LG. Represented Sony Corporation in proceedings instituted by LG based on its BluRay patents. The court lifted the seizures executed by LG and enjoined LG from enforcing its patents through customs seizures.
- Philips v. SK Kassetten. Dutch parallel case to German Orange-Book decision. Represented Royal Philips Electronics and obtained injunction against SK Kassetten regarding the sale of unlicensed CD-R and CD-RW discs. The court dealt for the first time in the Netherlands with FRAND-principles and rejected the FRAND defense raised by SK Kassetten.
- GE Healthcare v. Medisize. Represented GE Healthcare in preliminary witness proceedings instituted by Medisize based on alleged patent infringement of its patent of a respiratory system. Extensive review and attack by GE Healthcare on the validity of the patent invoked by Medisize.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Licensing Executive Society (LES)
- European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Widely regarded as one of the leading lawyers for standard-essential patents matters, advising high-profile clients from the technology sector on the invalidity and infringement of patents.” Chambers & Partners 2023
- Leading Individual JUVE Patent 2022
- “Van den Broek is at ease devising national and international patent litigation strategies.” IAM Patent 2022
- “Renowned figure and outstanding lawyer, Bart van den Broek has dedicated his whole life to intellectual property and is always on top of every detail.” IAM Patent 1000 2021
- “The fantastic Bart van den Broek has a strong practice representing technology sector clients in patent litigation. His foresight is appreciated by clients, one suggesting that he is a very good strategist and digs deeply into the case in order to anticipate arguments by the other side.” Chambers & Partners 2021
- “Stands out as he is very quick, very on the ball and very convincing in court.” Chambers & Partners 2020
- “Bart is excellent from both a technical and legal perspective. He prepares for hearings with exceptional thoroughness and then delivers arguments persuasively when it’s time to stand up and present.” IAM Patent 1000 2020
- “One of the best in the Dutch market.” JUVE Patent 2020
- “Highly regarded patent litigator.” Legal 500 2020
- “Fantastic lawyer and impressive litigator.” Chambers & Partners 2019
- “As technically astute as they come” and “has a gift for devising the simplest, most persuasive arguments that stake out the most complex and challenging positions” IAM Patent 1000 2019
- “He is brilliant, he understands very complex technical concepts and reduces them to arguments that you can present. He is also an incredibly hard worker, very dedicated, driven and very easy to work with.” Chambers & Partners 2018
- “Very responsive” Legal 500 2018
- “He can take very challenging material and build you a compelling case.” Chambers & Partners 2017
- “Grasps the technology quickly and easily and is a persuasive advocate in the courtroom.” Chambers & Partners 2017
- „Clients always come back to him because he is tenacious and really digs into the details – you can be fully confident he has mastered the case’s technical aspects. He gets results and knows how to work with other teams in international battles.” IAM Patent 1000 2017
- “Aggressive litigator” Managing Intellectual Property 2016
- “Big name in the Netherlands.” IAM Patent 1000 2016
- ”A good lawyer – very precise and demanding. He really stands out.” Chambers & Partners 2016
Columbia University School of Law (LLM, 1992)
University of Amsterdam (Law, cum laude, 1991)