Managing IP Rising Star
Laura’s practice extends to all areas of intellectual property, advising and representing national and international clients across a wide range of sectors in litigation and matters relating to patents -including supplementary protection certificates for medicines-, trademarks, designs, copyrights, as well as related areas such as unfair competition.
She has extensive experience in multi-jurisdictional patent litigation involving complex technologies, especially in the field of life sciences for clients in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
Before beginning her legal practice as a lawyer, she worked for two years at the Foundation Genoma España for the Development of Genomic and Proteomic Research, where she had the opportunity to get first-hand knowledge of the support needs of the research groups, centers and networks in biotechnology and of biotechnology companies.
- Representing Ceva in several patent litigation proceedings against a major competitor in connection with veterinary drugs in the swine area.
- Representing MSD in unfair competition proceedings against a global competitor in relation to veterinary products.
- Regularly advising and representing Essity in relation to their IP matters in Spain, including several patent litigation cases against competitors related to the client’s hygiene products and dispensing systems.
- Represented Sanofi in patent litigation against a major competitor relating to monoclonal antibodies for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia.
- Represented Janssen in patent (SPC) litigation against a major competitor relating to generic medicinal products of a successful antiretroviral drug.
- Represented the clothing company G-Star Raw in litigation for EU trademark infringement against a well-known fashion group for undue use worldwide of the “RAW” trademark.
- Advised Abbvie in prelitigation and enforcement of patents relating to a blockbuster biological medicine against biosimilar competition.
- Represented French clothing brand Hartford in EU trademark infringement and ownership/validity proceedings before the Spanish EU Trademark Court, and parallel Contentious-Administrative litigation, against an optical goods store chain.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), Spanish Group
- Licensing Executives Society. LES Spain-Portugal
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Association of European Trade Mark Owners (MARQUES)
- “Cuestiones abiertas sobre la aplicación de los requisitos para la concesión de Certificados Complementarios de Protección: la protección del producto por la patente de base y la primera autorización de comercialización”, Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, issue #86, January-April 2019, CEFI – Instituto de Derecho y Ética Industrial (IDEI). Co-authored with Álvaro Velázquez.
- Spanish Chapter (Spain) in Global Patent Litigation: Strategy and Practice (by Willem Hoyng and Frank Eijsvogels), Kluwer Law International. 2014-2019 Supplements. Co-authored with Luis Fernández-Novoa, Jose Antonio Sanmartín, Álvaro Velázquez, Carmen Amor and Mar Conde.
- “Spanish imposition”, Intellectual Property Magazine, June 2013.
- [Commentary to] “SGAE v Mr. Jesús Guerra Calderón. Barcelona Appeals Court, 15th Chamber, Appeal Docket No. 370/10-3, 24 February 2011”, E-Commerce Law Reports, Volume 11, issue #2,  ECLR 1-24.
- Section about Spain in Patent Litigation Smart Charts™ 2011, Kluwer Patent Law.
- Spanish Chapter (Spain) in E-Discovery and Data Privacy. A Practical Guide (by Catrien Noorda and Stefan Hanloser), Kluwer Law International, 2011. Co-authored with Álvaro Velázquez.
- “File Sharing: The existence and legality of P2P networks in Spain”, E-Commerce Law & Policy, Volume 12, issue #6, June 2010.
- “Análisis de la Sentencia de la Audiencia Provincial de Barcelona (Sección 15ª) de 17 de diciembre de 2009, Ryanair Limited v Vacaciones eDreams, S.L.”, Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, issue #57, January-March 2010, CEFI – Instituto de Derecho y Ética Industrial (IDEI). Co-authored with José Antonio Sanmartín.
- “Cooking up a storm – How a soy bean patent grew into Spain’s first ruling on the EC biotech directive”, Patent World, issue #200, March 2008.
Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (Diplôme d’Etudes Juridiques et Economiques de l’Union Européenne, 2002)
Universidad San Pablo CEU, Madrid (Degree in Community Law, 2002)
Universidad San Pablo CEU, Madrid (Law, 2001)