“[…] Lars Baum has already established himself as a go-to in the hotly contested SEP/FRAND space […] Baum is an obvious choice for complex cross-jurisdictional litigation.”
IAM Patent 1000
Lars Baum (Düsseldorf) joined the firm upon completing his second state examination in 2015 and has been employed there as a lawyer since 2018. He advises and represents clients in various fields of intellectual property law, in particular patent law. His expertise focuses on strategic advice and representation in complex domestic and cross-border patent infringement and validity proceedings, including the technical fields of telecommunications, chip and semiconductor technology, chemistry, and mechanics. In addition, he represents companies from various industries in design and competition law disputes.
He is a great asset with vast experience in advising clients in and out of court regarding standard-essential patents, in particular as they pertain to the compulsory license defence under antitrust law (“FRAND”). Moreover, he continuously advises and represents leading mobile phone and chip manufacturers on this and on technical affairs.
Lars Baum studied law with a focus on intellectual property and competition law at the University of Cologne and further deepened his knowledge in these areas, inter alia, at an international law firm as well as at a multinational chemical and consumer goods company.
Following his bar exam, he gathered additional experience in the patent law department of an international law firm in Washington, D.C.
He acts for his clients before the Unified Patent Court and the national German courts.
- Representation of a leading chip manufacturer in patent infringement and validity proceedings (2019-today)
- Advice and representation of mobile phone companies regarding the infringement of essential standard patents including FRAND defense
- Representation of one of the world’s leading manufacturers in the field of mobile communications in various cross-border proceedings concerning standard essential and implementation patents (2018-today)
- Advising and representing one of the world’s largest manufacturers of photovoltaic products in patent infringement and validity proceedings against several competitors (2018-today)
- Advice and representation in design infringement disputes (2018-today)
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Association of Intellectual Property Experts (VPP)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- Lars Baum [excels] in work for clients in relation to SEPs and FRAND […]. , Legal500
- “[…] Lars Baum has already established himself as a go-to in the hotly contested SEP/FRAND space […] Baum is an obvious choice for complex cross-jurisdictional litigation.”, IAM Patent 1000
Second State Exam in Düsseldorf (2015)
First State Exam in Cologne (2012)
University of Cologne (2007)