A forward thinker who provides timely advice tailored around a fine understanding of your commercial aims. He is excellent value, too.
IAM Patent 1000
Michiel de Baat is a European, Dutch and Belgian Patent Attorney. Michiel represents clients in Dutch and Belgian patent infringement procedures. He oversaw and managed over a dozen US and Japanese patent infringement (ITC, DC, Tokyo High Court) and validity (PTAB) cases. He uses his experience from patent litigation in patent prosecution before the European patent office (EPO) as well as in Opposition. A number of national and international clients have entrusted Michiel with the representation of their portfolios of 50+ applications.
With an eye for detail, especially the commercial aspects of the invention, he will as legal specialist get the best results for his clients within the formal framework.
Michiel’s practice focuses on the mechanical engineering, such as medical devices, agriculture and horticulture, oil (offshore) and automotive.
Before joining HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER, Michiel worked for over ten years at several patent firms in The Netherlands and Belgium.
- Account manager of a 300+ European patent application portfolio including several European Oppositions for an American multinational.
- US (ITC, District Court, PTAB) and Japanese patent cases (infringement & validity).
- ASML v. Nikon: Technical support for ASML with respect to alleged infringement of several immersion lithography patents (2016-2019).
- Seizure and counterfeiting. Michiel is a registered court expert and conducted several seizures.
- Several Oppositions at (the Boards of Appeal of) the EPO
- “Introduction to IP & Patent law ”, guest lecturer at the VUB, University Brussel
- Institute of Professional Representatives Before the European Patent Office (EPI)
- Dutch Patent Attorney Association
- Association of Corporate Growth (ACG)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- De Baat produces “subtle, smart work and is strategically very intelligent and a formidable opponent”. IAM Patent 1000 2019
- “Provides excellent value due to his top-notch technical and strategic skills.” IAM Patent 1000 2017
- “A forward thinker who provides timely advice tailored around a fine understanding of your commercial aims. He is excellent value, too.”
IAM Patent 1000 2016
- “Head and shoulders above the rest.” IAM Patent 1000 2014
Exam for Accredited Belgian Patent Agents (2006)
European Qualifying Examination for European patent attorneys (2005)
Qualifying examination for Dutch patent Attorneys (2004)
Leiden University, law (2000)
Leiden University, physics (1999)