A forward thinker who provides timely advice tailored around a fine understanding of your commercial aims. He is excellent value, too.
IAM Patent 1000
Michiel de Baat is a European, Dutch and Belgian Patent Attorney. He joined the firm in 2013 and brings 20 years of experience as Patent Attorney. His practice focuses on the mechanical engineering, medical devices, agriculture and horticulture, (offshore) oil and automotive sectors.
Numerous national and international clients have entrusted Michiel with the defence of their patent portfolios. Michiel regularly represents clients in Dutch and Belgian patent infringement proceedings and has experience managing US (ITC, DC, PTAB) and Japanese (Tokyo High Court) patent infringement and validity cases. He also has experience before the European Patent Office (EPO), including the Opposition Division.
Michiel has an eye for detail, especially the commercial aspects of inventions, and consistently strives to obtain the best results for his clients.
Prior to joining HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER in 2013, Michiel worked for over ten years at several patent law firms in the Netherlands and Belgium. He was promoted to the partnership in January 2022.
- Account manager of a 300+ European patent application portfolio including several European Oppositions for an American multinational.
- US (ITC, District Court, PTAB) and Japanese patent cases (infringement & validity).
- ASML v. Nikon: Technical support for ASML with respect to alleged infringement of several immersion lithography patents (2016-2019).
- Seizure and counterfeiting. Michiel is a registered court expert and conducted several seizures.
- Several Oppositions at (the Boards of Appeal of) the EPO
- “Introduction to IP & Patent law ”, guest lecturer at the VUB, University Brussel
- Institute of Professional Representatives Before the European Patent Office (EPI)
- Dutch Patent Attorney Association
- Association of Corporate Growth (ACG)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- De Baat produces “subtle, smart work and is strategically very intelligent and a formidable opponent”. IAM Patent 1000 2019
- “Provides excellent value due to his top-notch technical and strategic skills.” IAM Patent 1000 2017
- “A forward thinker who provides timely advice tailored around a fine understanding of your commercial aims. He is excellent value, too.”
IAM Patent 1000 2016
- “Head and shoulders above the rest.” IAM Patent 1000 2014
Exam for Accredited Belgian Patent Agents (2006)
European Qualifying Examination for European patent attorneys (2005)
Qualifying examination for Dutch patent Attorneys (2004)
Leiden University, law (2000)
Leiden University, physics (1999)