Responsive, proactive practitioner whose work product is never less than excellent.
World Trademark Review
Laura is specialised in brand protection. Her practice is mainly focused on defining strategies for the protection of trademarks, designs and domain names, either in Spain, within the EU (acting before the European Union Intellectual Property Office – EUIPO or internationally (before the World Intellectual Property Organization – WIPO). Laura also acts before the Court of Justice in Luxembourg and her expertise includes counseling for the licensing and assignment of IP intangible assets and on unfair competition matters. She is active in IP related international organisations such as INTA and represents high-profile clients including the world’s no. 1 beverage company, a Dutch consumer electronics manufacturer and the owner of the world’s best-selling cigarette brand.
- Representing the world’s no. 1 beverage company for over fifteen years in relation to their EU Trade Mark matters before the EUIPO, as well as all of its Spanish trademark cases before the Spanish PTO, including contentious-administrative litigation and litigation before the commercial courts and the Court of Justice. Amongst other victories achieved, she headed the Company’s successful defence for the protection of their famous Contour bottle before the EUIPO, and successfully represented the company before the General Court in Luxembourg in a case involving a sign imitating the famous trade dress of their main brand.
- Representing the owner of the world’s best-selling cigarette brand in relation to all their EU Trade Mark matters, including all conflict EU Trademark cases (including before the General Court in Luxembourg) and representation before the Spanish PTO.
- Represents the leading canned food multinational in all its EU Trade Mark matters and before the Spanish PTO.
- Successfully represented a Dutch consumer electronics manufacturer before the General Court in appeal proceedings.
- Successfully represented one of the leading Spanish producers of non-alcoholic beverages, in the contentious- administrative appeal lodged against the rejection of Spanish trademark registration for Non-Alcoholic Drinks. The successful defence strategy was based on the violation of Council Regulation (EC) 1576/89 of 29 May 1989 laying down general rules on the definition, description and presentation of spirit drinks.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Committee Member, Non-traditional Marks Committee
- Comentario a la sentencia de 29 de enero de 2020 en el asunto C-371/18 « SKYKICK ». Límites a la exigencia de claridad y precisión en los enunciados de productos y servicios e interpretación del concepto de mala fe a la luz de la intención de uso de la marca. in Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, issue #90, May-August 2020, CEFI – Instituto de Derecho y Ética Industrial (IDEI).
- Color as a trademark, Jazztel v Orange, in Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, issue #72, May-August 2014, CEFI – Instituto de Derecho y Ética Industrial (IDEI).
- Review of the book Designschutz in Europa: Design Protection in Europe – Volume 2 in Revista de Derecho Mercantil, issue #271, January-March 2009.
- Collaboration in World Trademark Review Yearbook 2008, European Union chapter.
- Collaboration in A Review of the first 150 Decisions on the Validity of Registered Community Designs, MARQUES Community Designs Team, 2006.
- The Protection of Well-known Marks in the European Union, Canada and the Middle East (a country and regional analysis), INTA, 2004.
- Collaboration in COLEX Code Ley de Patentes y Marcas – Legislación básica y complementaria. Concordancias y jurisprudencia, 2004.
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Knowledgeable, practical and personable.” Chambers Global 2020
- “Deeply skilled practitioner and intelligent strategic thinker who knows how to coordinate complex cross-border filings and enforcement programmes.” World Trademark Review 2020
- “Very good at handling trade mark portfolios for foreign clients.” Chambers Global 2019
- “Responsive, proactive practitioner whose work product is never less than excellent.” World Trademark Review 2019
- “Alonso has a modern and commercial way of working. She is always on top of cases and clients love that. Her performance is outstanding.” World Trademark Review 2018
- “Outstanding in trade mark prosecution work.” Chambers Europe 2018
- The gifted counsellor “handles routine matters expertly, but is even more impressive when navigating complex, unusual issues.”World Trademark Review 2017
- “Creative in looking for other solutions that meet my company’s needs.” “I know that she is hands-on in the matter and doesn’t pass it off to someone else.” Chambers Europe 2016
- Laura Alonso is “great at anticipating the needs of her clients and is fast – she gets in touch immediately when things need taking care of.” World Trademark Review 2016
- Trademark captain Laura Alonso is “a real shining star – a fantastic all-rounder”.” World Trademark Review 2015
- Laura Alonso “always inspires confidence”. She “is very strategic and has an excellent track record winning many cases.” World Trademark Review 2014
- “She sends spontaneous updates and comes up with relevant arguments for our cases.” Chambers Global 2014
- INTA webinar on non-traditional marks (NTMs) – Issues on forms of protection and registrability as well as practical challenges. Addressed to the TM Offices of the Andean Community: Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Perú (April 2020)
- “Genuine Use of a Mark”, Premier Cercle’s IP Summit, Brussels
- “Clear Rules for Comparative and Keyword Advertising”, Premier Cercle’s IP Summit, Alicante
- “Examining Trademark Issues and Defining New Strategies – Dilution after INTELMARK, L’Oreal v. Bellure and NASDAQ”, INTA Conference, Vienna
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (PhD Courses, 1997)
University of Syracuse, NY (Certificate in Law and Economics, 1995)
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Law, 1994)