… a superb attorney, a brilliant strategist and an incredibly articulate advocate who quickly integrates herself with an international business and legal team. Her manner of communication allows all team members, irrespective of nationality, to work together to achieve a common purpose. In the German courts, she is held in the highest esteem; she knows the judges and she knows how best to argue a case.” “Her knowledge, advocacy and tenacity are second to none.
IAM Patent 1000, 2020
Christine Kanz has worked as an attorney since 1998. Although she has primarily focused on international patent litigation in the areas of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and chemistry, she has also handled numerous cases in the areas of medical devices, mechanics and consumer products.
Much of her work involves cross-border litigation with the result that she is highly experienced in planning and coordinating such cases.
After attending the Max Planck Institute for Intellectual Property, Competition and Tax Law in Munich as an auditing student, she obtained her PhD in trademark law in 2002 at the University of Düsseldorf.
Christine regularly publishes on patent law matters and speaks at conferences on patent law issues. She is also a visiting lecturer at the Hagen Law School.
She acts for her clients before the Unified Patent Court, the European Patent Office and the national German courts.
- Representing a global pharmaceutical originator company in multi-jurisdiction blockbuster patent litigation against generic entry in the field of HIV (2015 – present)
- Representing a global pharmaceutical originator company in multi-jurisdiction blockbuster patent litigation concerning HCV (2014 – present)
- Representing and advising one of the major pharmaceutical originator companies in patent litigation and other patent law matters (2014 – present)
- Advising a leading medical diagnostics company on patent law (2015 -present)
- Representing a global pharmaceutical originator company in the area of blood products (2017 – present)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW)
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- Association of Intellectual Property Experts (VPP)
- Kanz/Gerhardt: What are the risks of second medical use and dosing regimes in pharmaceutical patenting?, Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst, Volume 3, Issue 5, September 2014, p. 481 ff.
- Kanz/Lunze: Your Guide to IP issues in Germany, MIP IP Focus Life Sciences, 7th edition 2009, p. 48ff.
- Kanz in: Drafting Agreements in the Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals Industries, Oxford University Press, 2009
- Kanz, in: Gewerblicher Rechtsschutz – Urheberrecht – Medienrecht, Kommentar, Carl Heymanns Verlag 2008 (Patentrecht, Mitautor)
- Kanz (Mitautorin), Verfahrensrecht und Besonderheiten des Prozessrechts, Berlin Verlag 2007
- Kanz, Recent developments in German jurisdiction regarding damages following patent infringement, Pharmaceutical Law Insight, October 2006, Vol. 2, Number 9, p. 17
- Kanz/Kasper, Management of US Discovery in Continental Europe: A Practice Report from Germany in The IP Litigator, issue September/October 2005
- Kanz, Schutz von Medizinprodukten durch technische Schutzrechte, in: Anhalt/Dieners, Handbuch des Medizinprodukterechts, 2003
- Kanz, Zum Kennzeichenrecht im Internet, Düsseldorf 2002
- Kanz, Haftungsrechtliche Aspekte von Fahrerassistenzsystemen, ZfAW 2002, 38 ff.
- Kanz, How to Collect Evidence in Europe: Proceedings in Germany, Italy and France, and U.S. Discovery in Europe, BNA International, Vol. 20, number 1, p. 20.
- Visiting lecturer for procedural law in intellectual property matters at the Hagen Law School.
- Visiting lecturer for licensing in patent law at the LMU
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “very strong in pharmaceutical cases and great to work with” – JUVE, 2023/2024
- Leading Individual: Lawyers in patent litigation – JUVE Patent, 2023/2024
- Global Leader, iam Patent 1000, 2023; 2021
- “quick grasp, always calm and assured, even under pressure” – JUVE, 2022/2023
- Thought Leader (Life Sciences), Who is Who Legal, 2022
- „Top 250 women in IP“, Managing Intellectual Property, 2022
- Recognized as “Notable Practitioner”, Christine Kanz is a well-respected figure in the market boasting a notable patent litigation practice. She is particularly popular with life sciences corporations, which she represents in both claimant and defendant patent disputes. – Chambers Europe and Global Guide, 2022
- “Christine Kanz is an experienced patent litigator in the life science sector who excels in cross-border cases.” – National Guide, Germany (Life Sciences), Who is Who Legal 2022
- Christine Kanz is renowned for her “in-depth patent expertise”, with interviewees commending her strong international experience. – National Guide, Germany (Patents), Who is Who Legal 2022
- Often recommended, ” always calm and assured, even under pressure” JUVE 2021/2022
- Leading advisor among patent law litigators, JUVE 2021/2022
- “quick grasp; always calm and assured, even under pressure”, JUVE Patent 2021
- “Top 250 women in IP”, Managing Intellectual Property 2021
- „IP Star“ (Patent, Germany) 2021, Managing Intellectual Property 2021
- “Christine Kanz, an adroit coordinator of cross-border pharmaceutical and biotechnology disputes across Europe and beyond.” iam Patent 1000, 2021
- Women in Law Awards 2021, Lawyer Monthly 2021
- “good advocate, amazingly skilled at drafting, knowledgeable of the law, and she comes up with creative solutions.“, Chambers Europe and Global 2021
- “Christine Kanz receives commendation for her expertise on patent laws and is frequently retained by clients for cross-border contentious matters”, (Global Leader: Life Sciences-Patent Litigation and Patents / National Leader Germany: Life Sciences and Patents), Who is Who Legal 2020
- “excellent in pharmaceutical processes”, JUVE 2020
- „Top Lawyer for Patent“, WirtschaftsWoche 2020
- Thought Leader in Germany (Life Sciences), Who is Who Legal 2020
- “… a superb attorney, a brilliant strategist and an incredibly articulate advocate who quickly integrates herself with an international business and legal team. Her manner of communication allows all team members, irrespective of nationality, to work together to achieve a common purpose. In the German courts, she is held in the highest esteem; she knows the judges and she knows how best to argue a case.” “Her knowledge, advocacy and tenacity are second to none.” iam Patent 1000, 2020
- Managing Intellectual Property – IP Star (Patent, Germany), 2020/21
- “She is very thoughtful and understanding of what needs to be done within the litigation.”, Chambers Europe and Global 2020
- “very impressed in proceedings”, “very extensive know-how in contentious proceedings and other negotiation situations”, JUVE 2019/20
- “an excellent, persuasive advocate who has the respect of her peers as well as judges – and she’s also one of the most responsive lawyers out there”.
“Christine is an outstandingly strategic counsel whose poise, intellect and communication skills are second to none. She grasps the big picture effortlessly and truly shines in coordinating and guiding an international team of counsel to a common goal.” iam Patent 1000, 2019
- Christine Kanz has been selected as “Influential Woman in IP”, WIPR 2019
- “to the point and very straightforward” and “good commercial approach and responsiveness.”, Chambers Global 2019
- “Christine Kanz belongs to the leading individuals of the Team”, Legal 500 Deutschland, 2018
- Kanz is featured in Managing IP’s Top 250 Women in IP (2018), MIP IP Stars 2018
- For knotty pharmaceutical, biotechnology or chemistry cases, Christine Kanz is an inarguable choice. “She´s really personable and energetic and always goes the extra mile for clients.” IAM 1000, 2018 “stands out” in the international market place thanks to his well-established patent litigation practice, “particular well known for handling IT and telecoms cases”, Patents, Who’s Who Legal Germany 2018″
- “an expert when it comes to IP law and boats extensive experience in a range of sectors including medical devices, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals”, (Life Sciences, Who’s Who Legal 2018)
- The “very bright” Christine Kanz is noted for her expertise in high-profile patent litigation proceedings. She is at her most visible in the life sciences industry, often advising on cases concerning patents for pharmaceuticals, medical devices and biotechnology. Sources also add that she “is very efficient and understands the client’s issues.” Chambers Global 2018
- “Christine Kanz is a pharmaceuticals and medical devices maven who knows how to bring complex technical concepts to life in the courtroom.” iam Patent 1000, 2017
University of Düsseldorf (PhD, 2002)
University of Sydney (Law, 1998)
University of Passau (Law, 1995)
University of Bonn (Law, 1992)