Prof. Juan José Marín joined HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER’s Madrid office as Of Counsel. He is a Full Professor of Civil Law at the University of Castilla-La Mancha and a renowned litigator in the field of intellectual property, particularly copyright and related rights, software, trademarks and designs, as well as matters of unfair competition.
He has acted before national civil and administrative courts (courts of first instance, courts of appeal and the Supreme Court), and before the Court of Justice of the European Union and the General Court. He is the Vice President of the Association Littéraire et Artistique Internationale since 2016.
- Advised Spanish book publishers on the impact of the Google Books project on the Spanish market.
- Represented the interests of Bilbao Bizkaia Kutxa in its conflict against the holder of the audio-visual exploitation rights of the Spanish soccer championship “The King’s Cup” matches.
- Represented a Spanish company, with subsidiaries in several Latin American countries, in a lawsuit before the Spanish courts against its former Mexican executives claiming ownership of a former company logo and certain brands.
- Defended the Argentine company Supercharango, creator of soundtracks for commercials, in a lawsuit filed by a music editor before the Spanish courts.
- Represented the interests of musical artists in disputes with their agents and/or producers of phonograms.
- Defended Nintendo in its actions against the infringement of software installed in the “DS” and “Wii” consoles against the manufacturing and commercialization by third parties of devices that violate the technological protection measures implemented by Nintendo.
- Represented Google Spain before the Spanish Supreme Court in a lawsuit over the caching of its search engine.
- Defended Oracle in a lawsuit concerning software versus Informática El Cortes Inglés and the government of an Autonomous Region of Spain.
- Represented the interests of the management entities SGAE, AGEDI, and AIE in the preliminary ruling before the Court of Justice of the European Union on the financing of fair compensation for private copies charged to the State’s general budgets, as well as in their lawsuits against the State seeking fair compensation for private copying.
- Defended the interests of a Spanish publisher of psychological and psycho-technical tests in a lawsuit against Pearson.
- Literary and Artistic Association for the Defense of Copyright, the Spanish chapter of Association Littéraire et Artistique Internationale (ALAI)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Association of Civil Law Professors
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journals “Derecho Privado y Constitución” [Private Law and Constitution], “Revista de Derecho del Deporte y del Entretenimiento” [Sports and Entertainment Law Magazine], “Aranzadi Civil”, “Revista de Propiedad Intelectual” [Intellectual Property Magazine], and “Actas de Derecho Industrial y Derecho de Autor” [Industrial Law and Copyright Acts]
- “Entidades de gestión colectiva de los derechos de propiedad intelectual y tarifas generales: el nuevo régimen tras la Ley 21/2014, de 4 de noviembre, de modificación de la Ley de Propiedad Intelectual y la Ley de Enjuiciamiento Civil” [Collective management organisations and general tariffs: the new regulation after Law 21/2014, of November 4, on the modification of the Intellectual Property Law and the Law of Civil Procedure], Actualidad Civil, 2015, abril, pp. 40-51.
- “Crónica de España. La reforma de la Ley de Propiedad Intelectual por la Ley 21/2014, de 4 de noviembre” [News from Spain. The reform of the Copyright Law by Law 21/2014, of 4 november 2014], in Revue Internationale du Droit d’Auteur, number 246, 2015, pp. 162-225.
- “Crónica de España (2008-2011). Segunda Parte. Crónica Jurisprudencial” [News from Spain (2008-2011). Case Law developments], in Revue Internationale du Droit d’Auteur, number 235, 2013, pp. 185-273.
- “Crónica de España (2008-2011). Primera Parte. Crónica Legislativa” [News from Spain (2008-2011). Legislative developments], in Revue Internationale du Droit d’Auteur, number 234, 2012, pp. 289-411.
- “La mediación en los conflictos de propiedad intelectual” [Mediation on copyright conflicts], en Materiales jurídicos del Libro Blanco de la Mediación en Cataluña, Centre d’Estudis Jurídics i Formació Especialitzada del Departament de Justícia de la Generalitat de Catalunya, 2011, pp. 211-225.
- “Spain”, en T. Calame/M. Sterpi (eds.), Copyright Litigation, European Lawyer Reference, 2010, pp. 355-372.
- “La protección de las bases de datos por el derecho de propiedad intelectual en la praxis reciente del Tribunal Supremo” [Protection of Databases under Intellectual Property Law in the Recent Practice of the Spanish Supreme Court], in Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia [Communications on Industrial Property and Competition Law], 53 (2009), pp. 49-70.
- “La copia privada y su alcance como límite del derecho de autor” [Private Copying and its Role in Limiting Copyright], in XXIV Jornadas de Estudio sobre Propiedad Industrial e Intelectual [XXIV Conference on Industrial and Intellectual Property], Spanish Group of the International Association for the Protection of Industrial and Intellectual Property (AIPPI), 2009, pp. 91-98.
- “Responsabilidad civil de eBay por infracción de marca” [eBay’s Civil Liability for Trademark Infringement], La Ley, number 7011, 12 September 2008, pp. 1-4.
- “In the Courts: Moral Rights vs. Public Utility”, in WIPO Magazine, number 1/2008, January-February, pp. 8-9.
- Juan José is a regular speaker at all types of IP-related seminars and conferences. He has been a Consultant of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) for Latin America since 2003.
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “He is a good litigator, a good writer and has a lot of experience. Very broad knowledge and academic rigour.” Chambers & Partners 2021
- “He is spectacular, and very technical.” Chambers Global 2020
- “Adept at handling litigation before both domestic and European courts. ” Chambers Global 2019
- “Technically very good, very knowledgeable and a brilliant mind.” Chambers Europe 2018
- “Highly regarded for his technical knowledge and academic prowess.” Chambers Europe 2017
- “He is able to elegantly summarise complex issues and focus on the core of the matter.” Chambers Europe 2016
- “Has a splendid reputation in the market.” Chambers Europe 2012
- “Extremely well known for his expertise in copyright.” Chambers Europe 2011
Institut für ausländisches und internationales Patent-, Urheber- und Wettbewerbsrecht, Munich, 1996
Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha, Ph.D., 1991
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 1990
Università di Bologna, 1989
Universidad de Granada, 1988