He is meticulous and a true IP authority – the only lawyer we can count on to guide proceedings the right way from beginning to end.
IAM Patent 1000
Luis is the Managing Partner of the HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER office in Madrid. He is well-known for his broad expertise in all aspects of IP law, including patents, trademarks, designs, copyrights, as well as unfair competition issues. He is specialised in IP litigation, and mainly in patent litigation, before the Spanish commercial, criminal and administrative courts. He also has experience in ICC arbitration proceedings relating to contractual disputes concerning IP rights. Luis’ experience in patent litigation takes in a wide range of sectors and technologies, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, electronics and mechanics.
Throughout his career, he has acted for leading companies within their sectors, including Huawei Technologies, Chanel, Illumina, Johnson & Johnson, Fractus, Seiko Epson Corporation, Sanofi, Procter & Gamble, Rovi Corporation, Philips, Sony, Gamesa, Abbott, Intervet, Zara Group and SCA.
- Representing Seiko Epson Corporation for over five years, directing the Company’s litigation strategy in Spain for the protection and enforcement of their patent, designs and trademark rights.
- Successfully representing Chanel in patent infringement and validity proceedings brought by a Spanish company in the biotech field.
- Representing Huawei in know-how, breach of contract, patent infringement and validity proceedings brought by a Spanish company concerning power control technology in WCDMA networks.
- Successfully representing Fractus, a pioneer in the development of antennas for smartphones, in patent infringement and interim relief proceedings, having obtained ex parte preliminary injunctions prohibiting the promotion of their devices during the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
- Represented and advised Sony in customs actions and patent infringement and interim relief proceedings brought in Spain by the South Korean company LG in relation to Sony’s well-known and top-selling PlayStation3 (PS3) consoles, in a wider context of a worldwide battle that LG and Sony have maintained over recent years in relation to the cross-licensing of their respective patent portfolios, related to a large extent to standardized technologies. The case was finally settled as part of a global agreement between the parties to put an end to all the ongoing proceedings related to their essential patents.
- Representing and advising MSD and Intervet in patent infringement and interim relief proceedings brought in Spain against a global competitor in relation to veterinary products. Successfully obtained an ex parte interim injunction in 48 hours.
- Representing Envac in a case which gave rise to a landmark Court decision which represented a turning point in the existing legal and case law doctrine. This case involved an important point of Spanish patent law: the date on which European patents become effective in Spain.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW). Member of the Editorial Board of the EPLAW Patent Blog
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal “Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia” (CEFI – Institute of Industrial Law and Ethics)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- “Las cuestiones prejudiciales en litigios de patentes”, Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, issue #87, May-August 2019, CEFI – Instituto de Derecho y Ética Industrial (IDEI).
- “The New Spanish Patent Act”, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, jpy077, https://doi.org/10.1093/jiplp/jpy077, 2 June 2018.
- “Sobre el momento en el que nace el derecho a reclamar los daños y perjuicios causados por la adopción de medidas cautelares”, Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, No. 83, Enero-Abril 2018.
- “Últimos desarrollos jurisprudenciales sobre certificados complementarios de protección.” XXX Jornadas de estudio sobre Propiedad Industrial e Intelectual. Grupo español de la AIPPI 2015.
- “Análisis crítico de la Jurisprudencia del Tribunal Supremo en materia de daños y perjuicios derivados de la infracción de patente”, Estudios sobre propiedad industrial e intelectual. Grupo español de la AIPPI. Conmemoración del 50º aniversario. 2015.
- “La eficacia de la patente europea en España. Apuntes sobre la sentencia del Tribunal Supremo de 11 de Julio de 2012,” Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, January-April 2013.
- “The Spanish Supreme Court Gets Serious on Patents,” Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (Volume 8, Number 8, August 2013).
- Chapters 1 and 11 in “La protección judicial de la patente. 15 años avanzando en defensa de la innovación” Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, issue #25, Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología – CEFI – Instituto de Derecho y Ética Industrial (IDEI).
- “Infracción de patentes en internet”, Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, issue #64, October-December 2011, CEFI – Instituto de Derecho y Ética Industrial (IDEI).
- “Sobre la patentabilidad de los programas de ordenador. Dictamen de la Alta Cámara de Recursos de la Oficina Europea de Patentes de 12 de mayo de 2010”, Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, issue #61, January-March 2011, CEFI – Instituto de Derecho y Ética Industrial (IDEI).
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “A very good litigator” Chambers Europe 2020
- “Outstanding litigator. His professionalism and expertise lend itself to an excellent partnership. His knowledge of the law is superb, as is his ability to learn about new technologies and adapt his strategies to suit each case.” IAM Patent 1000 2020
- “Expert litigator Luis Fernández-Novoa is noted for his deep understanding of his area.” Legal 500 2020
- “Luis Fernández-Novoa is a contentious expert who always goes above and beyond to find the best solutions for his clients.” World Trademark Review 2020
- “Great litigator with ample knowledge of patents and medical devices.” Chambers Europe 2019
- “A very good litigator and an excellent lawyer.” Chambers Global 2019
- “Well-known” managing partner Luis Fernández-Novoa delves deep into the technical background of every brief as a matter of course; no small feat, considering the wide range of technical areas in which he practices. IAM Patent 2019
- “He is able to give a level of expertise that most strictly legal minds can’t.” Chambers Europe 2018
- An accomplished courtroom litigator, he is also sure footed in arbitration and negotiation. World Trademark Review 2018
- Luis Fernández-Novoa is a man whose star is on the ascendant; clients keep him on speed dial for his perceptive take should the unexpected arise. IAM Patent 1000 2017
- “Luis Fernandez-Novoa is very intelligent, immediately spots the crucial issue in the case and has a clear oversight of the case as a whole, including co-pending cases in other jurisdictions.” Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars 2017
- commended for “his deep knowledge” Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars 2017
- “Luis Fernández-Novoa can easily understand the technical concepts involved in patents. He can think very fast in court hearings.” Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars 2017
- Álvaro Velázquezand Luis Fernández-Novoa “are great guys. Both are hardworking and diligent, with a particular skill for explaining the intricacies of Spanish patent litigation to foreign counsel. They have excellent communication skills and can draft compelling briefs and engage in persuasive courtroom arguments”. IAM Patent 1000 2016
University of Pennsylvania (Antitrust and Copyright Studies, 1990)
Universidad de Santiago de Compostela (Law, 1987)