Managing IP Rising Star
Managing IP Rising Star
Roeland is a senior associate at HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER and practices in all areas of intellectual property law. Roeland represents national and international clients in proceedings with respect to telecommunications, life sciences, chemicals, software and consumer products. Roeland also litigates and advises on (IP-related) competition law and commercial contracts.
In 2015, Roeland gained both international and in-house experience outside our firm, when he was seconded to an IP boutique firm in London and a Dutch multinational involved in health technology and consumer electronics.
Roeland Grijpink has registered Intellectual Property Law as his principal legal practice area in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister). Based on this registration, he is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in this principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.
- Nikon v. ASML. Representing ASML in multiple patent infringement proceedings regarding its immersion lithography machines, confirming the invalidity of Nikon’s patents.
- Philips v. ASUSTeK, Wiko and Archos. Representing Philips on FRAND and other non-technical defenses in standard essential patent litigation against multiple defendants.
- Simplot v. McCain. Representing Simplot in design right infringement proceedings, confirming the validity and infringement of Simplot’s design by McCain’s ‘Rustic Twist’.
- FKP Sojuzplodoimport v. Yukos. Obtained an order to lift the seizure of FKP’s Benelux vodka trademarks by the shareholders of former Russian oil company Yukos
- Secrid v. defendants. Representing Secrid in various litigation matters for infringement of its patents, design rights and copyrights.
- AkzoNobel v. Kirs. and network of software infringers. Obtained EU-wide orders and seizures against multiple resellers infringing rights to AkzoNobel’s paint mixing software, eliminating a network of infringing resellers of Sikkens paint.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Vereniging Intellectueel Eigendom Procesrecht Advocaten (VIEPA)
- Young European Patent Lawyers Association (Young EPLAW)
- Overview of Dutch Copyright law for Kluwer’s Copyright Litigation Smart Charts™ 2013-2020 (kluweriplaw.com)
- Young EPLAW, Anti-(anti-)suit injunctions (April 2021)
- University of Groningen, Masterclass Procedural Patent Law (April 2021)
- Academic Startup Competition, IP Issues in the Life of a Startup (January 2021)
- Masterclass FRAND (CPE), FRAND in the Netherlands after Huawei/ZTE – lessons learned and open ends (November 2020)
- Guest lecturer Trademark Law at Tilburg University (2015 to date)
- Guest lecturer Patent Law at Leiden University (2018 – 2020)
- Frequent inhouse and external IP law updates for clients (2015 – to date)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- “Managing Intellectual Property Rising Star 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022”
Carla van Schendel
Rembrandt Tower, 30th floor
1096 HA Amsterdam
P.O. Box 94361
1090 GJ Amsterdam
Erasmus University Rotterdam (Corporate Law, LLM, 2012)
Universität Hamburg, Università di Bologna, University of Haifa (European Master in Law & Economics, LLM, 2011)
Erasmus University Rotterdam (Economics and Business Economics, BSc, 2010)