“The team deserve five stars out of five – they provide clear answers and find solutions where others have failed, and always point out the risks and never shy away from difficult topics. They are down to earth, but highly skilled at the same time.”
World Trademark Review 1000: The World´s Leading Trademark Professionals 2021
Sandra Stolzenburg-Wiemer, admitted as an attorney since 2001, advises and represents German and international clients out-of-court as well as in court in all relevant aspects of unfair competition law (with a particular focus on unfair imitation of products and packaging), design and trademark law (incl. advise on grey market imports and customs border seizures), media, personal rights and copyright law, as well as on issues of cosmetic labeling, marketing and advertising measures (incl. the law on the advertising of pharmaceutical and medicinal products). In this context she gained extensive litigation experience, in particular with preliminary proceedings, and also significant experience in strategic and contractual counseling and in negotiating settlements. She has also considerable expertise in conducting trademark or design related applications, oppositions and cancellation proceedings before the German Patent and Trademark Office (DPMA) and the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO).
Her clients come from various sectors, including consumer and electronic goods, retail, cosmetics, accessories, watches and jewelry, fashion and footwear, design furniture and lamps, pharmaceuticals and medical products, food and beverages.
Sandra studied at the Universities of Münster, Barcelona and Heidelberg. Following her 1st State Exam she completed her legal clerkship in the district of the Higher Regional Court Düsseldorf. Following her legal clerkship and 2nd State Exam, she worked as a research fellow at the Institute of Civil, Commercial and Corporate Law at the University of Düsseldorf, where she obtained also her PhD. Her doctoral thesis on a topic related to media law dealt with the issues of providing legal advice, unfair competition and constitutional law. Afterwards, Sandra practised for several years in a large international law firm, advising and representing German and international clients especially on matters of trademark law, unfair competition law as well as on media and copyright law.
Having spent several months of her legal clerkship in a large commercial law firm in San Francisco and due to a five-year stay in Houston for family reasons she has gained intensive intercultural experience in the USA.
Sandra has published and lectured on various topics relating to media, copyright and trademark law.
- Representing a US cosmetics company in matters of trademarks, designs and unfair competition law, advise on advertising measures, packaging and cosmetics labeling, trademark strategy advise
- Representing a leading International health technology corporation in complex unfair competition infringements proceedings against a leading discounter; representation in matter involving copyrights and image rights
- Representation of a leading German optical instruments company in cross-border design and unfair competition claims concerning camera lenses design; advise in advertising matters
- Representing an Italian electric tool manufacturer in design infringement and unfair imitation disputes
- Advising a German watches and jewelry company in numerous matters involving contracts, designs and trademarks; representation in numerous unfair competition proceedings
- Representing the widow of a world-famous UK pop artist in matters of trademark and name right infringements
- Representing an Australian design furniture company in design infringement and unfair imitation proceedings against competitor
- Strategical advice and trademark prosecution (inter alia 3D marks) for a leading global pharmaceutical originator
- Advising a leading German confectionary company on trademark matters, advertising measures and in unfair competition disputes involving product trade dress
- Advising an Italian bathroom furniture manufacturer in copyright matters
- Advising an Australian pearl farm and jewelry company in a design and unfair competition dispute concerning jewelry imitation by a German competitor
- Representing an Italian luminaire company in a design and unfair competition dispute concerning their luminaire designs
- Representing a Dutch manufacturer of design kitchen faucets in a design and unfair competition dispute with a German competitor
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA)
- Stolzenburg-Wiemer, Kommentierung §§ 48-50 TKG, Kapitel « Rundfunkübertragung », in: Praxishandbuch Telekommunikationsrecht, Auflage 2005, Verlag Recht und Wirtschaft
- Stolzenburg-Wiemer, Die Medien und das Rechtsberatungsgesetz – Grenzen der Erörterung von Rechtsfragen durch Presse und Rundfunk, 2003
- Stolzenburg-Wiemer, « Standesrecht und Internet » und « Rechtsberatung im Internet », in: Lexikon Electronic Business, Oldenbourg Verlag, 2003, S. 261 ff und 275 ff
- Stolzenburg-Wiemer, Kommentar zu OLG München v. 31.10.2002 zur Eigenständigkeit der DVD-Verwertung von Filmwerken, in: K&R 12/2002, S. 663 ff.
- Stolzenburg-Wiemer, Kommentar zu BGH-Urteilen v. 6.12.2001 zur Rechtsberatung durch Fernsehsender, in: K&R 9/2002, S. 495 ff
- Stolzenburg-Wiemer, Widerrufsmöglichkeiten nach §§ 8, 9 des neuen nordrhein-westfälischen Landesmediengesetzes, in: AfP 6/2002, S. 475 ff (Co-Autorin: T. Häusser)
- Stolzenburg-Wiemer, Good news for trade mark owners: CJEU extends scope of trade mark protection – trade mark owners can stop debranding and rebranding of their goods, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (Oxford University Press, published April 2020, https://academic.oup.com/jiplp/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jiplp/jpaa041/5824939?guestAccessKey=80afbd58-41bf-4f09-a43b-b2fb7383b264
WHAT OTHERS SAY
- « The perfect balance between professionalism and an extremely pleasant atmosphere makes working together so easy. Deadlines are always met, feedback is prompt and the results are outstanding. Particularly noteworthy is the feeling for the client and his needs. » – Legal 500 EMEA, Germany, 2022
- Managing Intellectual Property – IP Stars (Trade Mark, Germany):
Notable Practitioner 2021
Rising Star 2018
Dr. jur. (PhD) University of Düsseldorf (2003)
Higher Regional Court of Düsseldorf (Law, 1998)
University of Heidelberg (1992)
Universidad de Barcelona, Spain (1991/92)
University of Münster (1989)